Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    I second Finns review...best hammock purchase to date.

I will add the Claytor Jungle and HH Expedition Hammocks (I own both) to the Clark (never tried) of commercial hammocks that fail in comparison to the Blackbird!

Personally, I love being on the cutting edge...even if I just paid for the privilage!
    And i third that

I had my first real outdoor night in the Blackbird last weekend,
    and it was like my other backyard hangs, excellent!
    (We wanted cold, but just got 46F)

I have a DD, Claytor and a Clark NA.
    My Clark NA was my first hammock and i loved it.
    I loved all the features on it, like the entry on both sides, pockets,
    weather shield and so on.

But now that the Blackbird has sneaked in into my life.
    The beloved Clark seems over engineered.
    I think i like the Blackbird because of it's simplicity.
    (and super comfy as well)

Another thing i noticed after a couple of hangs,
    is that the Blackbird doesn't feel so huge anymore, it must be shrinking

Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    I don't know if I want everyone to have one - I kind of like being part of this exclusive club with my exotic looking hammock.
    I feel the same

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I did not want to like as much as my DIY hammock but the comfort is wonderful. I even don't mind and am getting used to the tie outs. And they are easy.
    Three cheers for the Blackbird and that sweet shelf.
    Video review soon!
    Yes, more Shug video's

And i almost forgott,

CHEER
    CHEER
    CHEER
    Last edited by moski; 11-14-2008 at 02:42. Reason: added FishinFinn quote

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Pics of my Warbonnet, as requested.

I am also having a matching winter tarp designed and built by Brian at OES - can't wait to match them up! Gotta support the cottage guys!
    Last edited by fin; 11-14-2008 at 18:41.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    OK, spent all weekend in the hammock, and man, is that thing comfy. Hit 30's first night, 20's the second, but never even got close to being chilled. Windy as heck - stretched out my tarp tensioners and they froze in that position. After the first night, I had a lot of condensation on my UQ, so on Saturday I built a hammock sock just for the blackbird, and built a new vapor barrier/uq to go between the hammock and my quilt.

The vapor barrier is made out of an ER patient drape (like a fabric backed heat sheet) and a little over a yard of grey sil (to cover the fabric side of the sheet.) Sewed tabs and a draw channel on each end, just like a quilt.

The sock (hammock environmental containment unit) is very interesting. I had to leave channels for the wings of the blackbird to pass through, and leave the bottom partially removable for entry into the hammock. I made the top out of a metallic backed dwr nylon, and the bottom out of my waterproof sportswear nylon (to keep the rain/snow/fog off my quilts.) Hard to explain how this works, a picture would be more appropriate to explain, but I'm in the middle of making one more modification (v1.1,) and didn't want to take pics of an unfinished project. It's pretty cool, though.

The problem is that being entirely of waterproof material, even with the limited venting I had, the inside roof of my shelter was dripping wet this morning. All my venting was mid hammock along the wings and the ends, and none up top. I'm cutting out a 4 foot wedge along the ridgeline and adding a 1 ft wide x 4 foot strip of untreated ripstop. In the middle of the untreated ripstop, I'm going to put a grosgrain edged overlapped opening, 3 feet long, that I can open or close by pulling more tension on the sides of the sock. Think of a Hennessy opening on the ceiling. Started doing the mod, and my wife interrupted to make draft stoppers for all my doors in the house. Kitty litter, zip lock bags and some spare polyester ripstop makes a mean draft stopper!

My quilts on the second night were bone dry, and I was toasty warm with a 40* North Face Alleghany bag as a top quilt, and my overstuffed down UQ below. I even had to take my hat off during the night, and it hit 23*! The vapor barrier between the hammock and the UQ is critical for someone as warm as me - I put off a lot of heat ( my wife calls me her toaster.) The only issues I had was that with the sock and the vapor barrier between me and the UQ, the hammock didn't "stretch out" the same. It was still great, just a little more confined.

I think my next project, after I finish the sock, will be a 1/2 VB, 1/2 DWR "pillow case" for my UQ. That way, if wet or real cold weather is expected, I can stuff the UQ into the pillowcase, attach it to the hammock and already have the VB in place.

I love my Blackbird, and it is back hanging in the basement, where I will be sleeping tonight.

Images
    I think my next project, after I finish the sock, will be a 1/2 VB, 1/2 DWR "pillow case" for my UQ. That way, if wet or real cold weather is expected, I can stuff the UQ into the pillowcase, attach it to the hammock and already have the VB in place.

i've made a full sil "pillow case" for a uq before. it worked well, kinda awkward in it's fit, but other than that.

i've actually used synthetic uq's with full sil shells quite a few times and i never experienced a drop of wetness.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Another thumbs up for the Blackbird

I went out last weekend for an overnight hang in the Superstition Wilderness. The new 1.1oz black single layer Blackbird performed really well for me. The improvement in roominess and flatness of the hang was very noticeable compared to my HH Hyperlite. I love the new shelf feature, how did I ever get along without that? Setup was a breeze, and it took almost no time to get my JRB underquilt adjusted properly. I think I'm now starting to understand why people prefer top loading hammocks. You can actually reach out and see how compressed your quilt is, among other things. I like all the extra attention to detail that Brandon has taken - the adjustable shockcord length on the side tieouts, the extra ring for the tree hugger straps, and the included BB sack is also very cool. I still need to take a weight measurement to confirm, but based on hefting these two hammocks in my hands I would venture a guess that the Blackbird hammock could even be lighter than my Hyperlite. It certainly seems to compress more. Unless Brandon comes out with a newer model, I think I've found the ultralighter's dream hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Pics of my Warbonnet, as requested.

Looks great!
    Talk about stealth hanging when you get that tarp.
    Was it a double layer, camo and black?
    What was the weight on that hammock?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moski View Post
    Looks great!
    Talk about stealth hanging when you get that tarp.
    That's what I'm hoping for. I'm going to make Neo jealous with all my camo!

Was it a double layer, camo and black?
    Double layer, camo for the outside layer, my super soft, super silky dark grey sportswear nylon on the inside.

What was the weight on that hammock?
    I knew someone was going to ask that! I had hoped Brandon had weighed it before he shipped it, but I don't think he did and I forgot to ask him to. I'm going to have to take it down and bring it to the post office for an accurate weight as I don't have an accurate enough scale. I'll try to get that weight by tomorrow.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I knew someone was going to ask that! I had hoped Brandon had weighed it before he shipped it, but I don't think he did and I forgot to ask him to. I'm going to have to take it down and bring it to the post office for an accurate weight as I don't have an accurate enough scale. I'll try to get that weight by tomorrow.
    No hurry , take your time

FishinFinn , what does finn stand for?
    Anything to do with Finland?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Yep, I'm half Finn, half Norge.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Yep, I'm half Finn, half Norge.
    Häftigt, så då förstår du nästan svenska ?

Cool, a half Finn, half Norwegian in America.

You are lucky that you don't have any Icelandic in you,
    seems like they have to sell that country (bad finances).

Gut på tur, aldrig sur!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast