Originally Posted by zukiguy
I'm crazy sensitive to the stuff too but have been pretty lucky the last few years. I know I waded through a big patch of the stuff on the AT about 2 years ago but never got a bump. Only way I can figure this happened is that my allergies were going crazy at the same time so I was already taking antihistamines daily anyway. I guess this was enough to keep my body in check.
Good luck with the cleaning job. Some good old Dawn or similar dish detergent should do the trick. I'm not very familiar with the clark but can you separate the top/fly from the body? There's no reason really to wash the fly and the body of the hammock isn't waterproof so there's no worry. Maybe go ahead and soak/wash the guylines and tree straps if you think those came into contact with some oak/ivy.
Any chance your hiking poles are covered too? That was my biggest worry after my trip so I soaked/scrubbed them with Simple Green (non-toxic degreaser) when I got home and so far so good.
Antihistamines don't prevent a flair up. They are only there to mitigate any itching that may occur due to allergies.
Getting poison ivy, will only occur if you happen upon either a root or broken plant. The oil itself doesn't reside on the plant but within the plant. Think of it like maple syrup in the tree. So until the plant is broken, nothing is secreted.