Originally Posted by Pipsissewa
+1 on dish detergent. Usherol chemically binds WITH SKIN. Not with fabric. In fabric, ordinary grease-cutting detergents will wash it out.
My other thought is that your second outbreak may not have been a result of exposure from your gear or from your second hike. Once the steroid shot (which suppresses your immune system) wore off, your immune system immediately ramped up its response to the first exposure. Steroids have to be TAPERED off to avoid this rebound effect which is often as bad as the initial response. Perhaps your doctor should have given you oral steroids to taper off to avoid this. Don't be surprised if you get a third response when your second shot wears off even without additional exposure.
Still, it's probably a good idea to wash your gear, since you got into poison ivy somewhere. Wash your hammock in a bucket with dish detergent and rinse well with a hose. Hang to dry. Best of luck to you!!
Your other thought is right in line with what happens to many people. I literally just soaked in epsom salts and slept, just let my body fight the course. This is the first time my whole body has swollen up over such a thing, but letting my body take it's course was IMO the best option. Not a fan of steroids and most other "western" styled medicines for the above reason.