After my flirtation with advocacy of Civil Disobedience in the Wilderness, I had a talk with Jason Klawinsky, HBIC of Burns in the SHNF.
Basically, they decide when and where to burn the day before the burn. The decision is entirely based on weather. He could tell us that they will not
be burning today, tomorrow, and the next day, but could not commit any further in advance than that.
I asked him if he were informed him that there would be a dozen or so campers in that area would that cause him to decide to burn somewhere else, and he said no. Please remember, however, that Section 1 is not the only area where burns are scheduled.
SOP calls for them to go out to the burn area once the decison has been made, close the parking lots, and then walk the trails to inform anyone camping on them that they need to leave, and then once again the next day to insure there's nobody out there.
So, what we're going to be doing is playing our cards and taking our chances.
He did give me his cell phone number and I will call him on Thursday to check the status. It was the best he could do and it was a very gracious gesture.
I asked him what weather I should be praying for---what kind of weather would keep them from burning. He said "rain".
So maybe we need a Plan B, just in case. All of the Eastern end of the trail is open and no prescribed burns are scheduled.
What say you?