Originally Posted by Roche
1. Common Sense
2. Experienced Companions
3. Bail-out Options
4. Knowing when to bail
5. Experience getting down to zero (40 then 30 then 20 then 10).
Anyone can buy / borrow gear. The objective is to enjoy the outing.
That's a good place to start on any outing, not just the winter trips.
Here is my list of items required for cold weather outing.
1) Tarp with doors - Need to get out of the elements
2) UQ/TQ rated for temps expected - Down or synthetic doesn't matter
3) Fleece Clothing - Wool doesn't like me as much as I like it
4) Food/Water - Feed the machine to generate warmth
5) Communication Device - Just in case things don't go the way I expected