Originally Posted by zscott
The option to go to the ground is always good even though I hate to do it, I have had to do so in order to fish some high mountain lakes above tree line before.
Go above treeline to fish and then back down to sleep
In all seriousness - depending on which quilt you choose, the weight difference can actually become negligible. The Warbonnet Yeti is only 13 ounces and brings you down to 20*. All you need is a small (2'x2') pad for your lower legs and feet.
Pros/Cons are the following for me:
- More comfortable for most people
- Do a bit better job at lower temperatures (well below freezing)
- More comfortable
- Less possibility for 'sweaty back' or 'cold shoulders'
- Cheaper and sometimes lighter (although not always - see above)
- Allows going to ground in an emergency (hopefully this can be avoided)
Personally, I go with the UQ - I need the comfort - that's why I switched to hammocks to begin with.