GG Tarp testing
I left this thing up again through the storms yesterday...
I was initially worried while I was at work, because I slept out there the night before, and got up late, and then left my hammock/UQ/TQ/pillow out there too. This was under the 8.5x8.5, which is a bit short for the kind of storm that we had. When I got home, my anemometer said that the wind was 21 mph sustained and 35 mph gusts, with 2 inches of rain in 2 hours. I went out and shot a video after that, while the wind was about 11mph. ( i will upload it when I have time)
1.The prusiks slipped before the tarp or stakes failed, because I was experimenting with different cord. I had zing-it prusiks on "Chuck it" Throw line that I found very cheap. It only slipped a few inches, but still...This flawed my testing a bit, but the tarp performed well and was not very flappy considering the weather and the ridgeline sagging a little. It did not leak and my hammock/uq/tq were all dry!
2.I had it in a soggy place too, so the groundhog stakes gave a little and one even bent about 20 degrees due to the high wind.
3.I did notice a couple of pinholes at the main pressure point on the ridgeline seam. It was very small and may be fixed with aquaseal (i love that stuff) It did not leak as far as I could tell, but I was not in there during the pouring rain and wind, so it may have leaked just a little.
4. I also made a little "y" shock cord/glowire guyline, to pull the tarp together at the foot end. This pulls out the "flappiness" of the tarp better than the stick toggle. You can get a firly tight pitch considering there is no cat-cut.
( pics later too)
Overall I think that I would trust these tarps now. and we may use them for the hammock camping/backpacking class that we are gonna do.
All of the prototype gear performed well and now that we found a decent cheap tarp, we may be able to get something started in the fall season. I am super excited.