Im glad youve got a plan for your bed layout, so just to check are you putting a zipper between the layers of the hammock to zip your pad in to the sleeve? if so thats not really necesary one large opening at the head end and a smaller one at the foot will allow you to slip in a pad and manouver it in to position.
The topsheet definatly caused me a few headaches
mostly in figuring out the size of the arcs and length of poles i would need to make it. the two smaller arcs make the hammock a lot roomier inside just one might feel a little tight, not sure, ill experiment with mine and see how it looks. I suppose thats one of the reasons the vertex has such a large arc (besides the wider shelf providing a bigger footprint) Im also not sure how the arc stays up when the bugnet isnt deployed. sorry im not trying to add to your headache!
I actually started with a over large rectangle of ripstop and working from the center of the long edge attached it from of the middle of the shelf all the way across the head ends of the two beds. Then i gathered the hammock at both ends and hung it up to get an idea of how to lay things out.
Next i used a long thin flexible plastic rod that i cut to the length of the arc i wanted, then fitted it in to the hammock at about the level of my head and shoulder line and began to pin a rectangle along the other long edge to it while it was in an upright position. Its best to start in the middle of the rectangle and have plenty of excess and trim it off afterwards. once attached I marked along the finnished arc with a sharpie so i could hem along that line.
The short edges of the rectange are where i kinda had to wing it your going to end up with some pleats you have to sew in, and they actally leave little tunnels for mossies an other creepy crawlys to get in i had to seal them up by hand.
You might have trouble with one long channel for the pole as it is going to move quite a lot when your in the hammock and may put a lot of strain the seam I opted for three fairly wide sleeves to let every thing move about a bit.
structural ridge lines may be tricky there is not enough sag in mine for a ridgeline to give you head room i attached webbing loops at each gather of mine for them but realised they wouldnt work once i was finnished,
wow! i hope that made sence let me know if you want me to take any pictures of bits that are confusing or just do a better job of explaining them
Originally Posted by Hambone
Wow!! that is one good looking piece of awesomeness!! Thanks for the pics I was beginning to think a DIY version had never been attempted.
It may be a while before my sewing skills are at that level but this is something I must have. I am just not willing to pay Clarks price for it. I get enough lip from the wifey about the chunk I shelled out for my North American.
Thanks Hambone I can see why clarks cost so much though. a lot more than a tablecloth and a tent pole!!