Originally Posted by Hardhead
Guys, I got some phobia against all chemicals(I exaggerate) and would not consider putting anything on my hammock or myself for that matter. I got problems with bug spray!
Need options material wise.
For your health's sake, I think you need to get over it. Politically, I'm somewhere pretty far to the left of Hugo Chavez. I despise all pesticides and herbicides, since most were developed during the military's fascination with chemical warfare around WWII.
It took a long time for me to come to terms with using permethrin. After tons of research, I determined it's probably the least toxic pesticide on the market. There is no way to protect yourself against ticks, mosquitoes and other blood-sucking parasites by fabric alone. If you value your health, you will do a little more research.
I consider permethrin safer than DEET. I had a DEET reaction once that was truly horrific (it was like eating the brown acid at a Dead concert). I still use DEET, but sparingly. I've never had a permethrin reaction.