Hammock
    PIF from Dos
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies

A few DIY questions.

I woke this morning and for some reason I just had a bunch of questions in my head. I am still trying to get materials together for my first hammock system, so I figured I should ask these now. Here we go.

1: What is the best gathering method to get a really good hang? I have seen some use the head and foot channel then running a rope through it. I've seen a fold over method then lashing it together. I am just wondering what method do you thing is more comfortable and gets you a better lay in your hammock.

2: Single layer vs Double layer. I found a tutorial on DIYgearsupply for a double layer hammock. I can guess ti would be stronger, but is it? Also, is a double layer Hammock a bit warmer?

3: Ridge lines. I am going to need one for my bug net (Not an option in this part of the world) So I am wondering a few things on this subject.
    3a. What is the best way to attach your ridge line? I have seen some last an Sbiner of a descending ring into their hammock ends. Is this a good idea? I am considering it to hold my suspension loops in place.
    3b. What kind of Ridge line is best? I have seen whoopie ridge lines, I have seen zing its, but which kind is easiest to make for yourself.

4: Over or Under tarp line? I am considering using a Continuous ridge line for my Tarp, and I saw a debate on if over or under is best. I am leaning toward under because we basically have two seasons in Alabama, Hot and Wet, or Cold and Wet. But there are those who say an underline can cause wear on your tarp. Is this true, and if so, do you think reenforcing the ridge line seam with something like Grossgrain or some kind of webbing would be a good ides?

Sorry for the huge post so early in the morning, I just need to get these questions out there.

Hammock
    DIY 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ's
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Good morning. I too wake up early trying to find a solution to problems. Thank goodness for strong coffee!

1. I use this for all my hammocks ('cept bridges) https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ed-End-Hammock

2. While not really warmer, I'm a heavier hanger and need a dual layer for strength. Single layers are also strong depending on the weight of the fabric - 1.1, 1.9, 2.8 oz, etc. and your weight. Single layers are lighter in weight most of the time and are easier to construct.

3. I use a piece of amsteel for a ridgeline - you can use zing it or lash it also. I always start the ridgeline length at 85% of the hammock length and lengthen it to whats comfortable. I almost always end up with 90%. I just make a loop at each end and insert it thru the inside of the gathered ends and run the suspension thru the loops.

028.JPG

4. Whatever one you like. I run the ridgeline under my tarp, but with a continuous ridge , over it would work better.

This may answer some of your questions, but while we can give you examples, you may feel the need to experiment and try and find whats best for you. With all the many different techniques available, it's hard to say "whats best" - so ask away if you have any questions - someone will chime in and try to answer.

Have fun!

Vince

Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    1.) I prefer the Warbonnet/Knotty method of gathering and whipping (which is the one linked above). It's the easiest, in my opinion, and offers the best transfer of load from hammock to suspension. Your suspension's longevity is not based on stitching, and it's almost impossible for the suspension to slip off of the hammock. Whether or not it's the most comfortable, I don't honestly know. I just prefer it for ease of build and of mind.

2.) Yes, titanium is stronger...wait, you meant "it", not "ti"...d'oh! Double layered hammocks are considerably stronger. Their advantages are higher weight capacity, the ability to use a pad in between layers more easily than underneath you in a single layer, and fewer mosquito bite-throughs. Their disadvantages are weight, bulk, and cost. They are very slightly warmer, since they block the breeze a bit more than a single layer, but you won't notice this below ~75* F.

3.) I attach my SRL directly to the suspension. If it's whoopie slings, I tie the ridgeline to the non adjustable loop larksheaded to the hammock end; if it's straps, I tie the ridgeline to the continuous loops that are larksheaded to the hammock. Lash-It/Zing-It/other 200 lb+ rated non-stretch line is sufficient for me. I simply tie it at one end with a double half hitch and then tie it at the other end with a slippery double half hitch. I play with the length until I find one I like, tie the slippery half hitch as a normal double half hitch and cut the excess. Done.

4.) I prefer mine over. The reasons for this are dripping and longevity of the tarp (whether or not rubbing against a ridgeline will cause catastrophic failure, rubbing against anything will, in the [perhaps very] long run reduce the life of the tarp). If the ridgeline is above the tarp, any drips between the edges of the tarp will fall on top of the tarp rather than on me in the hammock. Why would you lean towards putting your ridgeline under the tarp? It really doesn't offer much in the way of benefit as far as pitch goes, and it offers at least one major drawback.

Anyway, those're how I do things. YMMV.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar1974 View Post
    4: Over or Under tarp line? I am considering using a Continuous ridge line for my Tarp, and I saw a debate on if over or under is best. I am leaning toward under because we basically have two seasons in Alabama, Hot and Wet, or Cold and Wet. But there are those who say an underline can cause wear on your tarp. Is this true, and if so, do you think reenforcing the ridge line seam with something like Grossgrain or some kind of webbing would be a good ides?
    I hang my tarp under the suspension line and attach it with carabiners to Prussik loops on the line.
    For me, the dripping and abrasion issues were something I thought about after I decided on hanging the tarp under the line simply because it's easier (for me) to set up and take down.
    As long as you build your tarp with a straight (not cat-cut) ridgeline, you can try both styles and use the one you like better.
    Have fun with your projects!

"Early in the morning" I was on lunch break. Graveyard shift haha.
    1) there is no best way. As we say HYOH or hang your own hammock. Everyone likes different methods. Personally I prefer the channeled method with continuous loop.

2) I believe double layer is so you can slip a pad or insulation between layers. I have an underquilt so I dont need a double layer.

4)with a continuous ridgeline (new hardware shippin from dutch!) Id recommend hanging above. If you use dutchware, there will be a V that your hammock will go through.

Hammock
    All DIY so far - 11'
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Slings and Knots
    Don't over think it. If you're doing a gathered end you can always take it apart and start over. Just get out there and hang.

Hammock
    PIF from Dos
    Suspension
    TreeHugger/woopies
    Thanks for all the input. It seems most think the channel gather method is easier, so I think I will go with that, though I think my first project is going to be a set of Turtledog stands so I have a place to hang my hammock and test things. My parents have the scrap wood to make it with so that will be my first project.