Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

TX>Montgomery>LSHT>10/17/14>Scout The Wonder Dog Celebration Of Life Hang

Having given this some thought, I've determined the proper places to spread Scout's ashes along the LSHT. The first appearance of Scout The Wonder Dog as a hammock hanging trail dog in company with other hangers was at the First Annual Texas Butt Bake, chronicled in Scout The Wonder Dog An The Strangers In The Woods. We also had a several very memorable trips with good folk in that area, the most recent of which will be remembered as the Last Chance Hang. There are also a couple of spots that are private to Scout and I that will be visited and ashes cast, and in the future a trip will be made to parking Lot 8 and Hidden Lake, where two other Butt Bakes have been held as well as the overnight campsite occupied during the infamous Scout The Wonder Dog And the Bushwhackers adventure and another to Hurricane Cove, but those will have to wait until after deer season ends and camping at those sites is legal.

But right now it will be possible, and it is fitting, to visit the first campsite that Scout and I hiked to with other Hangers, as well as those we camped at several times in that area---we just can't camp in them during deer season. So the plan is to head out on Friday evening October 17, park at TH #4 and hike on the Little Lake Creek Loop into the "legal" campsite 1.08 miles West of that parking lot , as shown on this map:

http://lonestartrail.org/maps/hires/...ess_shaded.pdf

If there are enough folks and willing parties, I'd like to decamp from there Saturday morning and shuttle over to Parking Lot #2, leave a car there, then drive over to Parking Lot #1. There I'll spread some ashes at a campsite we occupied at the Last Chance Hang, then follow the same basic route taken during that hang to spread some at the site of the First Butt Bake and at our favorite spot just south of FS211A. From there we'd hike to the "legal" campsite on the Sand Branch Trail for Saturday night and Sunday morning hike back on the LSHT to Parking Lot #2 to pick up the car left there and shuttle back to parking Lot #1. If I'm alone or the shuttle isn't possible, I'll just add 3 miles to the hike back to Parking Lot #1.

Saturday's hike would be about 6 miles, Sunday's a little over 2 unless we go all the way back to PL #1, then its going to be a bit more than 5. Before heading to Friday's camp, I'll cache water at PL #2 and the road crossing on Bethel Road.

If anyone doesn't want to do a night hike from TH#4, we can meet at PL#1 on Saturday morning.

So sound off if you want to come along. This isn't going to be a wake, we're not going to get all sad and maudlin, we're going to hike and hang in remembrance of Scout.
    Last edited by sargevining; 10-08-2014 at 22:23.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Checking on the calendar and logistics on this end. If I can join you, I will. I'll know more soon.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    RevelationX TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Sarge, Wow - I'll need to read that again to understand the logistics. I think you meant "west" of TH#4. I'll let you know if I can make it one night or the other, or possibly both.

I'm really sorry to hear about Scout(TWD).

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snaggleroot View Post
    Sarge, Wow - I'll need to read that again to understand the logistics. I think you meant "west" of TH#4. I'll let you know if I can make it one night or the other, or possibly both.

I'm really sorry to hear about Scout(TWD).
    Correct. 1.08 miles WEST of PL #4. Editing OP now.

Yah, the deer hunting campsite thing kinda unnecessarily complicates things, although last year this would have been impossible during deer season, so we have that to be thankful for..

Basically, we need a campsite for Friday nite and the easiest/shortest hike one to get to, especially after dark, is that one on the LLCL. Its a straight shot with no turns onto connecting trails, The LSHT Club has some volunteers putting up signage at those sites, so that's a plus too.

For Saturday, I'd just like to hit PL #1 (where the key got broken), a spot the West Fork Trail, and that camp site just south of 211A---in fact, especially that campsite as we've done a number of trips there. The closest "legal" campsite from there is that one on the Sand Branch, and the closest parking lot to that one is PL#2. That all points to the same route we took at the Last Chance Hang: LSHT from PL #1 to West Fork to LLCL to Sand Branch. I'd camp on trail if I could, but this time of year-------

Hammock
    DIY ACU Camo
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 ACU Camo
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Will make it out if you'll have me thinking about starting a through hike soon
    In life you never know how much something cost's, till it's time to pay for it.
    And the best things are free.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Come on out. It'll get you familiar with the first three miles at least.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    talking to the wife and trying to get a weekend kitchen pass.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Looks like perfect weather for hiking and camping:

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-...ontgomery.html

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/mon...eather/2223686

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/77356

Highs in the low 80s, and it looks like it willtake a while to get there. Lows in the low 60's makes for a good crisp morning.

Reminder to folks:

Its Deer Season and the Forest Service requires you wear at least 400 square inches of Blaze Orange on the trail.

See you there Friday night!

Hammock
    DIY ACU Camo
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 ACU Camo
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie's
    Will meet you at TH#4 Friday i should get there around noon.
    In life you never know how much something cost's, till it's time to pay for it.
    And the best things are free.

Hammock
    Sparrow
    Tarp
    WinterDream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    My heart is with you....my body will be in Austin working a karate tournament.....
    I love my dogs and know how you must feel. They are some of the best friends that a person can have...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast