Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Is there any kind of trick to packing tarp into skins?

I just got Kats skins and Jareds SLD Winter Haven tarp. Both awesome btw...as u all know.
    When im packing up the tarp into the skin, it bunches up alot with about 6 inches to go. I just kinda stuffed it in there, but was thinking that there has got to be a proper way to do this where that doesnt happen. Is there? Or do u guys just stuff the last of it into the skin too?
    Thnx

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i just slide one end all the way down, then the other. Anything in the middle left over just gets gently shoved in.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    I figure -8 my tie downs....then sort of "flop" them into the tarp and Roll it up....then pull on the skin.
    Do the same with the other side. It does sort of depend on the tarp how much "stuffing" you do for those last few inches. But Rolling seems to make it tighter to fit in the skin.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    I use some of those little Velcro ties that you can buy for bundling computer cables. I have three of them hanging from my tarp RL. I roll up the tarp and use the ties to secure it in place before sliding on the snake skins. Makes packing up extremely easy.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok...ya rolling the tarp up makes sense. I just had the tarp folding in half and started feeding it into snake....haha. Of course its gonna get bunched up that way...
    First time used it so wasnt sure.
    Thnx guys

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Pull and smooth out the tarp with your hand. The tarp likes that. Squeeze out any bubble. Slide the skins over.
    Carry forth.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    I normally grab one of the tieouts and flip the cord into the tarp and roll it up to the ridgeline, then while holding the roll, I grab the opposite side and hold the tieout up to the ridgeline and hold it along with the roll, then grab the now dangling bit and raise it up to the ridgeline, repeat once more and slide the snakeskin onto the tarp. This keeps the cords from tangling with each other and allows for a skinnier snakeskin (I may have made mine a little too small).
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    I have mountain goat skins and a superfly tarp. I slide my skins toward the center from both ends, but stop about half way and loosely and gently roll from the bottom up to try to spread the fabric out so it doesn't bunch up as bad. It still bunches up a little bit, but the rolling makes it where you don't have to just stuff silnylon into the ends of the skin. It also makes removing the skins a lot easier next time you deploy the tarp. something I face because I then stuff the skins into the superfly's stuff sack is that the ends of the tarp poke out of the skins. not a big deal, but since we're discussing it I thought I'd mention it.

for what it's worth, I have attached guylines on all corners and doors, and the skins still work fine with room to spare. I'm using zpacks small yellow line.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1/1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Marmot Meteor bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjaw14 View Post
    I have mountain goat skins and a superfly tarp. I slide my skins toward the center from both ends, but stop about half way and loosely and gently roll from the bottom up to try to spread the fabric out so it doesn't bunch up as bad. It still bunches up a little bit, but the rolling makes it where you don't have to just stuff silnylon into the ends of the skin. It also makes removing the skins a lot easier next time you deploy the tarp. something I face because I then stuff the skins into the superfly's stuff sack is that the ends of the tarp poke out of the skins. not a big deal, but since we're discussing it I thought I'd mention it.

for what it's worth, I have attached guylines on all corners and doors, and the skins still work fine with room to spare. I'm using zpacks small yellow line.
    This is me exactly.
    &

I normally struggle with it for a few then end up stuffing a bit. Now I learned to fold/roll tarp before snake skinning. Though now that I'm moving to a continuous ridgeline tarp, ill be using a double sided stuff sack

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast