Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images

Does TQ need to match the UQ?

And I don't just mean brand & model, obviously that'd be nice but...

I'm currently saving and shopping. I'm leaning hard towards the HG Incubator 20 for an UQ, but I'm worried about being too hot. I haven't hung in winter, not really planning on it. So mostly spring and fall trips, plenty chilli and I use a 20* bag now so I know it's a good rating. Plus everything I've read here says a good first UQ for all around is a 20*.

So what's the Question and why are we in Top Insulation?

Does my TQ need to be a 20* rating too? Or if I get a 40* TQ, will I be ok down to freezing or so with the 20* UQ? what's the mix and match rule? Is there one?

Thanks!

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Whatever you do don't get a warmer tq than uq. It's far easier to improvise top insulation then bottom.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Many people put a lot of thought into this before they buy. I guess I'm not much of a thinker - I always buy matching sets.

Honestly, my HG 20* Burrow and Phoenix are my favorite quilts. I also have a 0* Incubator and Burrow, as well as a 40* Burrow & Phoenix, but the 20* set was all I owned for a couple of years. I used them from 70* F down to 13* F and loved 'em. I'm neither a hot nor cold sleeper.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Personally I have found that down doesn't make you hot. Weird, I know. Lemme explain...

I have a 0º Incubator that I use in just about all weather under 65ºF. It never makes me hot per se. It simply catches my escaping body heat and holds it close as opposed to just escaping into the atmosphere.

You should try to look at your UQ as you would your mattress at home. You don't swap mattresses, only what you use to cover yourself. Heavier stuff in the winter, lighter linens in the summer.

Same principle applies with hammock quilts. If you go with a warmer rated UQ, you can be much more versatile with what you put over you. If anything at all, depending on the weather.

In most cases a 20/20 TQ/UQ will be the most versatile combo, but you should take into consideration how warm/cold you sleep and make your decision accordingly. I slept a little cold. So even on those otherwise nice 68º nights, I appreciate the warmth my 0º UQ provides even if I have nothing on the top.

Hope this helps!

BTW, I'm a sucker for stuff that matches. So I went with HG on both quilts.

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Many people put a lot of thought into this before they buy. I guess I'm not much of a thinker - I always buy matching sets.

Honestly, my HG 20* Burrow and Phoenix are my favorite quilts. I also have a 0* Incubator and Burrow, as well as a 40* Burrow & Phoenix, but the 20* set was all I owned for a couple of years. I used them from 70* F down to 13* F and loved 'em. I'm neither a hot nor cold sleeper.
    I'm a notorious over thinker! For instance...why'd you go 3/4 instead of full length?

Thanks for the input guys, good point about adding layers on for top insulation too.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I live in sweltering South Texas. Occasionally (maybe 2 or 3 nights of the year) it gets down into the 20s. I have an Incubator20 and a Burrow 50. The incubator corresponds to the COLDEST temp in which i am going to hang, and can vent it easily when temps rise. The Burrow 50 is because i am a warm sleeper and will add layers if necessary. Also, i got a kick *** deal on the Burrow 50, so with the awesome price and the light weight, makes me a very happy camper.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    My ideal setup (and the one I currently own) is a 20° burrow, and a 0° incubator (short, 2 oz overstuff)

I've only had the TQ for 2 months, and the UQ for a month, but so far, it's a rocking setup. I've taken it from a 60° night to a 25° night at elevation, and it's great so far. I, like everyone else , feel that it's far easier to add insulation on top of you, then it is under you.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm also in the "down doesn't make me hot" crowd. I've even used my 0* Incubator with overnight lows of 70* F and wasn't hot at all.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonACraft View Post
    I'm a notorious over thinker! For instance...why'd you go 3/4 instead of full length?

Thanks for the input guys, good point about adding layers on for top insulation too.
    I'm primarily a hiker, and as mentioned before, not a particularly hot or cold sleeper. Down to 20 degrees, a 3/4 UQ is fine for me. You can always add a ccf pad in the footbox of the TQ if your feet get chilly (though mine rarely do). Below 20 degrees, and I prefer a full length. The lowest I've ever hung was 0* F, and my tooties were warm and cozy with the 0* Incubator!

Hammock
    11' Dutch Hexon Wide
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Glk3, DIY TQs
    Suspension
    Mltibkles, Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMarkos View Post
    Personally I have found that down doesn't make you hot. Weird, I know. Lemme explain...

I have a 0º Incubator that I use in just about all weather under 65ºF. It never makes me hot per se. It simply catches my escaping body heat and holds it close as opposed to just escaping into the atmosphere.

You should try to look at your UQ as you would your mattress at home. You don't swap mattresses, only what you use to cover yourself. Heavier stuff in the winter, lighter linens in the summer.

Same principle applies with hammock quilts. If you go with a warmer rated UQ, you can be much more versatile with what you put over you. If anything at all, depending on the weather.

In most cases a 20/20 TQ/UQ will be the most versatile combo, but you should take into consideration how warm/cold you sleep and make your decision accordingly. I slept a little cold. So even on those otherwise nice 68º nights, I appreciate the warmth my 0º UQ provides even if I have nothing on the top.

Hope this helps!

BTW, I'm a sucker for stuff that matches. So I went with HG on both quilts.
    I really do like things that match...

I sleep pretty hot. It stays about 20* outside for a good 3-4 months out of the year where I live and I use the same light summer blanket all winter long.

I forgot about being able to vent the UQ too, that should help when it's warmer. I've just had a lot of nasty, sweaty nights this year with the sleeping bag flipped completely open and don't want to spend that kind of $$ for the same thing. Granted, I own no down (shocker, I know) so I don't know how it breathes, as compared to my synth which just smothers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast