Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Well it all lines up , holes inline with cords, I didn't believe Tom Hennessy's claim that he felt his back getting warm in the setup vids but it's true , you do
    I won't put the Bp in its already 28c and warming, won't be cool night unfortunately
    I wish winter would hurry up

HH SS & bubble pad set up?

The more I think about it and look I reckon the BP is best not used with the SS it's a pad on its own a space blanket will work better unfortunately a noisy addition but the Bp keeps the egg shell mAt away from you. Maybe the pad inside the BP

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    [QUOTE=BillyBob58;1336971]I agree, it is a sponge. One time camping by the Hoh river in Olympic NP, I did not bother with the space blanket 1st night of the trip, high 40sF. I slept plenty warm, but when I got out the next morning I found the foot of my synthetic sleeping bag and the foot end of the HH pad were pretty soaked with condensation. I can't remember if I squeezed(gently with that pad!) then out 1st or just packed up wet, but when I set up that night all was dry and I stayed dry the rest of the trip.

I ended up squeezing water out of the pad, then rolling the pad between two thick towels, to get most of the rain water out, then I hung it to dry, it took a very long time to dry all the way. The pad is very absorbent if it gets wet, mine only became wet in places, I was very surprised at how much water it held, not just a few drips when I squeeze but a whole puddle.

I did find the SS to work as advertised, granted no immediate warmth but it blocked the cool breeze and stayed in place. The bubble pad I did not like for me, I like my windshield screen better. That is just a matter of taste. I do not use the BP with the SS,

Hammock
    Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    here is how I set up my DJ XL up with the BP.

I put it in between the 2 layers like HH says too and hook it into the rings that are at the openings to hold it in place.
    then I lay my fleece blanket down ontop of the BP inside the 2 layers and what I have found that does for me is keeps the moisture that condensates on BP away from me and under trhe fleece.
    inside hammock is my 20deg bag and I dress for the weather and had my beanie on as needed over night.
    woke up Sunday morning with some frost on the ground and I was very nice and cozy all night. best sleep I have had in weeks.

will be getting UQ for christmas so after that no more BP and no more condensation problems
    As I was not hiking this weekend just camping with troop I pulled fleece and pad out let dry and put back in

Images
    There is an orange colored space blanket, called Heat Sheet I believe, much quieter and more durable. About the same cost and weight, maybe a bit more.
    http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...y-blanket.html

Hammock
    HH Backpacker ultralight zip
    Tarp
    OWL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HH SS
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshD View Post
    The more I think about it and look I reckon the BP is best not used with the SS it's a pad on its own a space blanket will work better unfortunately a noisy addition but the Bp keeps the egg shell mAt away from you. Maybe the pad inside the BP
    You nailed it right there Josh, the BP will cause gapping, and then lead to cold spots. The way I have included using the BP is to set the SS up as per instructions, complete with space blanket (they weigh nothing so why not). THen I put the BP inside the hammock and lay on that, as I always have a baselayer on there is a tiny space between my skin and the BP, this lets moisture move away from me. I've found this combination of the SS and the BP inside the hammock to be really effective. On my Backpacker ultralight there are two rings inside the hammock which let me clip the BP in place.

Well finally got the HH and SS out for the Melbourne cup long weekend, it's 2 months since snow season ended so -5c and snow was unexpected
    The SS works great, I was cold above but below not at all. I had my U.S. military sleep system, combo yet I still got cold only because I didn't do it up around my neck .
    I just received a DD hammock UQ so I have something to use on my other hammocks
    I did get a lot of condensation on the inside of my under cover

Hammock
    HH Backpacker ultralight zip
    Tarp
    OWL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HH SS
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Well finally got the HH and SS out for the Melbourne cup long weekend, it's 2 months since snow season ended so -5c and snow was unexpected
    The SS works great, I was cold above but below not at all. I had my U.S. military sleep system, combo yet I still got cold only because I didn't do it up around my neck .
    I've learned to live with the condensation, just give it a quick wipe with a towel before I pack up the hammock and I don't pay it any more mind.

Did you use the bubble pad as well?

No I don't bother with the bubble pad , I am using my DD underquilt as well some times , makes a warm cheap alternative to expensive UQ
    The UQ on top of the SS kit
    If you're not familiar with the dd. UQ it's a inexpensive UQ approx 80 usd designed for -5 c conditions

Images
    Good to hear it worked fine for you!

Were you using a space blanket on top of the HH OCF pad?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast