Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks

AR>Lower Buffalo River Canoeing

Hello Hammock Forums Members,

I am heading to Arkansas next week with my son to canoe the lower Buffalo River and was hoping to get a little feedback on recommendations as far as sights to see and/or where to put in and take out. We will be there Thursday night and plan to head back home Sunday morning. So it will basically be 3 days/nights.
    Any information will be greatly appreciated.

RedStix

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Looking forward to reading the trip report. If you hear banjo music...paddle real fast.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    W L Ol Man Winter
    Insulation
    EE Rev X-JB Nest
    Suspension
    Stock BB buckles
    Are you wanting to camp on the river ? Campgrounds ? Will you need shuttles ? Maumee South (mile 111.3) to Dillards Ferry is 9.3 miles. Dillards Ferry to Rush is about 9 miles. Don't go by Rush as it is about 27 miles to the takeout on the White River. We usually camp at Rush at get shuttled to Maumee or Spring Creek and go to Dillards Ferry. Back to camp at Rush. Next day shuttle to Dillards Ferry float to camp at Rush. Campgrounds at Maumee (111.3), Spring Creek (116) Buffalo Point (122.1) and Rush (129.5) Have always used Buffalo River Float Service 870-449-2042 buffaloriverfloatservice (dot) com

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by lollygagger View Post
    Are you wanting to camp on the river ? Campgrounds ? Will you need shuttles ? Maumee South (mile 111.3) to Dillards Ferry is 9.3 miles. Dillards Ferry to Rush is about 9 miles. Don't go by Rush as it is about 27 miles to the takeout on the White River. We usually camp at Rush at get shuttled to Maumee or Spring Creek and go to Dillards Ferry. Back to camp at Rush. Next day shuttle to Dillards Ferry float to camp at Rush. Campgrounds at Maumee (111.3), Spring Creek (116) Buffalo Point (122.1) and Rush (129.5) Have always used Buffalo River Float Service 870-449-2042 buffaloriverfloatservice (dot) com
    Yes, we are planning to camp on the river. I think the first night we will probably just be arriving after the 9 hour drive from Baton Rouge so we will likely stay at a camp ground, possibly Grinder's Ferry campground?. Then the next morning we would get one of the shuttle companies to take our truck from wherever we put in and shuttle it to where we get out. Tentatively we have planned to put in at either Tyler Bend or Baker's Ford and travel down to Maumee. How does that sound?

Thanks!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Looking forward to reading the trip report. If you hear banjo music...paddle real fast.
    What if I bring my own banjo?

Hammock
    WB XLC, Dutch Netless, HH Exp mod,
    Tarp
    HG WP3, WBSF, HHex
    Insulation
    HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies, buckles
    Images
    Check water levels... lots of rain in this area in last 48 hours and extended forecast is calling for more rain over next week. Buffalo can get sporty after flash flooding - and fast water can really shorten your float duration. Trees are just starting to show some color... may miss the peak color season by a couple of weeks, but still should be beautiful.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    watch the water levels if there is more rain. My last trip it rained HARD over night. The river was up around 4 inches the next morning and still raining. We did like 14 miles that day (in the rain) and were at camp around 2 hours early (river was pushing us). We wound up calling the shuttle to get our truck down to Tyler Bend the MORNING of the day we had figured to get out in the afternoon.
    It really depends on the river flow and how much you wish to paddle and move along.
    From Tyler bend down, there are not many camp areas and it is very remote. The upper (western) river, you can make a camp ground every night.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    I've been watching the rain/flash flood warnings and hope it will stop on Monday. We will be there on Thursday night and start our float on Friday morning. Do y'all think it will be reasonable by then? Also, I am optimistic we will still be able to see some color in the trees. hawghanger - you said they are just starting to show color?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    HERE IS A LINK to the Buffalo river stages. Looks low now. You can also call the outfitter you plan on using for your shuttle. They will tell you what is up. Last trip I did, we wanted to go up river (headwaters, west) as far as we could and then pull out at Tyler Bend. We use an outfitter there at Tyler. He said the river was MOSTLY floatable starting at X put in point (suited us great). And he also said that a few times a day, we'd be a dragging the canoe over wide flat rock/sand bars (he was correct). We went in at Kyle's landing. Talking with a few others, canoes were half being drug, father up river. Kyaks were fine. So in 4.5 days, we went from there to Tyler Bend. First night at Kyles, second at Ozark (pulled out at 3 PM on Ranger advice of wicked storms). Next day, paddled in the rain to Carver. Next day, Carver to woolum (not to good for hammocks, well, all the campsites with trees were taken when we got there). The next day, we called the outfitter and told them to have the truck at Tyler bend around noon, as we were getting pushed down river. We went from Woolum to Tyler. Got loaded up but stayed there at Tyler bend to camp in the park one more night.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    W L Ol Man Winter
    Insulation
    EE Rev X-JB Nest
    Suspension
    Stock BB buckles
    Did Tyler Bend to Dillards Ferry 2 years ago....original plan was to do Rush to the White River but Rush had flooded and it was about a quarter mile of ankle deep mud/muck to get to the river....Lots of gravel bars from Tyler to Dillards. Nice spot to stay just above Cane Island (approx mile 180) we went left of the island, right looked a little harry. River slows down around Maumee bend for a few miles, different scenery. More wide open....If you're fishing, the Blue Ribbon smallmouth area, Dillards to Rush, is hard to beat. My favorite section....check the forums at forums.ozarkanglers.com/topic/45705-water-level-on-the-lower-miles/page-2#entry357886 not a lot of activity there on the Buffalo lately but a trip report for lower wilderness area Oct 6 Happy Hanging !

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast