Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

OH>Walbridge>Best places to hike/hang

My job sometimes requires me to go to places I wouldn't necessarily go, like Walbridge, OH (near Toledo). I could be there for up to six months starting in April 2015.

So if I wanted to get away for some hiking and hanging, where would I go? The upper peninsula of Michigan looks attractive and not too far, but I'd appreciate any and all suggestions for best wilderness experience within a five-hour drive.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    What, nobody lives near Toledo? Oh dear, looks like I'm going to the hinterlands of America!

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Most people I know from Toledo identify more with Michigan than Ohio. You might want to repost with a MI> prefix.

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    My job sometimes requires me to go to places I wouldn't necessarily go, like Walbridge, OH (near Toledo). I could be there for up to six months starting in April 2015.

So if I wanted to get away for some hiking and hanging, where would I go? The upper peninsula of Michigan looks attractive and not too far, but I'd appreciate any and all suggestions for best wilderness experience within a five-hour drive.
    Pictured Rocks in the UP is a nice destination, albeit a bit outside of your 5 hour drive at 450 miles (from Walbridge.) Through PR runs a 42 mile stretch of the North Country Trail. 200' cliffs overlooking Lake Superior and lots of wildlife make for some stunning countryside.

Another destination with a lot of "WOW" factor is the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. At 331 miles it provides a "wild feeling" wilderness experience with high sandstone cliffs, huge recessed caves, and the largest collection of arches east of the big river. The cliff line runs in dendritic fashion throughout the area. It provides awe inspiring views everywhere. Perfect for a hammock as there aren't many flat areas...you'll have your choice of magnificent spots. It's a good place to go off the beaten path as the requirement to set up camp is 300' from an established trail or road. Good any time of year, I enjoy it most when the leaves are off the trees. The views really pop then. After October, the people and bugs disappear as well. Good place to sit on a rocky outcropping, make your morning coffee, and watch the sun come up.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    GT funky forest
    Insulation
    experimenting
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I have lived in the Toledo area for 9 years now and I can tell you that it is difficult to find good trails/haning around here. There is a 12/15 mile loop at the Oak Opening Nature preserve (part of the metro parks system) that's a neat hike and does have one/two spot that hanging is allowed. The hike is very diverse in it's landscape but there is pretty much no elevation to speak of. After all, this is NW Ohio we're talking about. The hanging spots are both boyscout camp spots that I believe others are allowed to use as well. Believe it or not, I have never camped over night there but I have walked 12 of the 15 mile loop before. It would be worth a day trip and a single overnighter. You could break up the the loop at one of the camps and hike out the second day. I plan on doing this two day hike, one night hang sometime this coming spring. We'll have to see if the schedule frees up but I think I can eek out two days somewhere. That's my two cents. I typically dirve 5 hours out to SW PA and hike the Laurel Highlands trail. Now that is some good and fairly challenging backpacking there...but alas, the 5 hour, one way drive makes it a challenge.
    “A man is as free as he chooses to make himself, never an atom freer.”

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Im from the Toledo area and live in Cleveland now. PA and MI are the go to areas for northern Ohio.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuddmaster View Post
    Im from the Toledo area and live in Cleveland now. PA and MI are the go to areas for northern Ohio.
    I figured as much - when you look at Walbridge on google maps, there's ain't much green (i.e., forests) in the vicinity.

If you don't mind a two-hour drive to get to Ceasar's Creek State Park near Waynesville, they have a great 12-13m loop. There is only one place to camp, but stealth camping near the lake makes a great overnighter.

Hammock
    Wbbb xlcj
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    H.G top and under
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bugs
    Check out Northeast Ohio backpacking site they go on lots of trips in western Penn.

• + New Posts