Warbonnet 1.7, HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles

Undercover Idea

My first hammock is in the mail and I'm trying to get up to speed on everything hanging. I'm out quite a bit in colder temperatures (got a trip in Oct in Nh's Whites) and I'm trying to figure out a low cost solution to staying warm. Sounds like I'll need an undercover/quilt, a cf pad, maybe a space blanket, a good bag, and maybe some extra clothes and accessories.

The issue: I just splurged on the hammock and I'm having trouble finding a lower cost option for the commercial undercover/quilt. I'm guessing I'm not the first. I've got lots of older bags and wish I had the time and the skill to make one of those dyi kickass underquilts.

The idea: I was thinking of making some kind of mesh/cargo net out of maybe lightweight cord or elastic cord. Design it so that you can rig it to the hammock ridgeline. The net would hold an old bag or quilt, your pad and sb. Basically act as a lightweight, cheaper undercover. No cutting up a bag, no sewing, use the bag traditionally when/if you need to.

Understood: I don't even have the hammock yet. Let me have it with what I've overlooked or don't understand.

Any info is good info. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. -John

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Disclaimer: I'm a total newbie, don't even have my first hammock yet (though it's on it's way I believe!)... but it seems to me that some compression would result from what you are describing. An underquilt function properly because it's pulled up against the underside of the hammock and "hangs" away from the surface of the hammock, which allows loft. If there was a mesh fabric pushing the insulation against the underside of the hammock, it would compress it at least a little... unless you suspended it darn near perfectly, where the insulation was simply resting on top of the mesh and just barely touching the hammock underside...
    I'm sure one of the vets will be along with a more definitive answer before too long.

n0thing

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    Point taken Sir. It would have to be adjustable to keep the net from compressing the underquilt/sleeping bag.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Making one of the DIY quilts is not hard at all. It can be done quite eaisly and fairly quickly. Mr. Prez does a better product but at a higher cost than some old sleeping bags. The directions for the DIY KAQ are quite good. I would say give it a go. The biggest problem you will have is getting the weight of the quilt adjusted properly in the suspension. That's just tweaking.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    Thanks for the response Ramblin. I may give the KAQ a shot but, I'm curious, what do you think of the net idea? Low cost, low weight, adjustable to keep the loft of the bag. Would have to put some loops on the bag to keep it spread on the net and even over the bottom of the hammock. Any ideas?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teletrekker View Post
    what do you think of the net idea?
    My opinion is worth exactly what you will pay for it. It seems like a pain the tookus to me. Trying to fit the net so it hangs properly and doesn't sag or compress is not something _I_ would want to tackle. YMMV. If you want to tackle it go right ahead. Frankly _I_ think it is adding complexity to the fairly simple task of suspending an underquilt. You asked...

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    WS with Toggles
    I appreciate and value the opinion. I guess the question is what is it worth to you (or me in this case). No doubt suspending an underquilt would be easier. But an underquilt costs loads of money or lots of time, trial and error, and hours behind a sewing machine (which would be my first hours behind a sewing machine. Yes, a virgin.). Granted, the net would take hours of trial and error as well to get it fitted correctly.

I guess my question is, do you think it could work?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    two thoughts... It seems to me you would essentially be making an underquilt to put in the net... so I see no advantage. Secondly... the KAQ directions on line are for the HH line of hammocks. If you have another brand the situation is even easier to a great extend because you don't have to worry about the asym cuts.

Now to avoid the thread injector there are a couple of options depending on what you are willing to put up with. Duct tape or fusible hemming tape can be used. I personally think it is easier to sew than to do the alternatives. If you have not seen them you might want to look at the We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! vids I did just exactly for people who find the power thread injector to be intimidating.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teletrekker View Post
    Thanks for the response Ramblin. I may give the KAQ a shot but, I'm curious, what do you think of the net idea? Low cost, low weight, adjustable to keep the loft of the bag. Would have to put some loops on the bag to keep it spread on the net and even over the bottom of the hammock. Any ideas?
    If you're going to put loops on the bag, why not just hang the bag directly from the hammock without the net? It seems that in the end you'll do as much or more work setting everything up, and then have to work every time you use it to get it positioned just right.
    -b

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." - Dr Who

my scouting resources

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    what type of hammock did you get? If it has a pad pocket, just use a heavy pad, and maybe a windshield reflector. a lot less weight, and very simple.
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast