My first hammock is in the mail and I'm trying to get up to speed on everything hanging. I'm out quite a bit in colder temperatures (got a trip in Oct in Nh's Whites) and I'm trying to figure out a low cost solution to staying warm. Sounds like I'll need an undercover/quilt, a cf pad, maybe a space blanket, a good bag, and maybe some extra clothes and accessories.

The issue: I just splurged on the hammock and I'm having trouble finding a lower cost option for the commercial undercover/quilt. I'm guessing I'm not the first. I've got lots of older bags and wish I had the time and the skill to make one of those dyi kickass underquilts.

The idea: I was thinking of making some kind of mesh/cargo net out of maybe lightweight cord or elastic cord. Design it so that you can rig it to the hammock ridgeline. The net would hold an old bag or quilt, your pad and sb. Basically act as a lightweight, cheaper undercover. No cutting up a bag, no sewing, use the bag traditionally when/if you need to.

Understood: I don't even have the hammock yet. Let me have it with what I've overlooked or don't understand.

Any info is good info. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. -John