Boone ShellHammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber w/d
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Cintch Buckles

December Hammock Hang at RRG on Hanson's Point

Want to setup a Hammock Hang at Red River Gorge in December. Anyone game?

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I'm game! I was just thinking about setting something like this up. Glad I checked the forum first
    As a side note, there isn't any water on that hike. Couldn't make that the only stop. Good for a day of views though.

Details, dates, etc?
    Last edited by SirMarkos; 10-14-2014 at 07:01.

Hammock
    Boone ShellHammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber w/d
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Cintch Buckles
    Scouting for a second big spot this weekend, maybe off Koomer Ridge. Should have the trip nailed down by the beginning of November once I see the size of the group. I am thinking mid December. Friday thru Sunday afternoon. End it at Miguels or Rock House.

http://www.meetup.com/Central-Kentuc...nts/209718062/

Hammock
    BIAS w.w.
    Tarp
    hammock gear c.f
    Insulation
    Hammockgear U.Q.
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    Images
    I will be watching this

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I'm subscribed to this thread so when you figure something, post it here. In December, the park will be largely vacated, so maybe stay in the geological area to see the sights.

During warmer weather, we avoid the crowds and stay in Clifty Wilderness. A lot less people in that area!

I'm watching.

Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidge
    Suspension
    woopie slings
    I'm watching.

Hammock
    shopping for new gear
    Insulation
    Tequila
    Suspension
    Prayer
    I'm interested but I'm brand new and working of my gear. I wonder about the sanity of hanging for the first time in December. I can't make a Friday meeting because of work, but I could catch up on Saturday...I have a new-to-me Warbonnet Blackbird. I have always been interested in camping but have never actually done it. Well, I've been car camping, but I don't count that experience because you don't carry your gear further than 100 feet from the support vehicle. I'll be watching this thread.
    "Not all who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    Boone ShellHammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber w/d
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Cintch Buckles
    For Friday night we can do a quick hike into a short trail to camp either Tar Ridge, Sheltowee Suspension Bridge, or Bison Way Trail. Then come out to pick up anyone at the Shell or meet at a different trail head for Saturday additions around 10-11am.

For Saturday Night would like to be on Hanson's point hopefully catch the sunset and a sunrise.

There are three ways to Hanson's point:
    1.) Gray's Arch
    2.) Pinch'em tight
    3.) Sheltowee trace

Pinch em tight is the easiest way (not many views), Gray Arch(rough trail) is the most challenging. Sheltowee could have several water crossings if they aren't frozen over by then. The how will depend on how many miles everyone is willing on doing and if anyone needs to be out at a certain time on Sunday. The first big site on the trail would be the one to go for, getting there first is key. Water isn't close and I would recommend packing in 3 to 4 liters. Gray's Arch does provide some great views and photo opportunities. If we come in the Sheltowee Trace Trail we can drop a car off at Gray's Arch and head out that way or vice versa. Each way should be about 8 miles total trip or we can tack on a few more miles and make a loop out of it.

If we come out early on Sunday I wouldn't mind doing some day hiking either to Indian Staircase, natural bridge, and/or Auxier Ridge.

I will be carrying a walkie set on channel 5 if you just want to meet on Hanson's Point.

If your need some gear to be able to make this trip message me and I may have something laying around you can use or post it on a thread and someone else may have something you can borrow. I will also be posting the information for this Hang on meetup under Central Kentucky Backpackers.

I will post a map once the route and schedule is set. I look forward to hearing ideas and suggestions to finalize the hang.

Hammock
    Boone ShellHammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber w/d
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Cintch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Elessar View Post
    I'm interested but I'm brand new and working of my gear. I wonder about the sanity of hanging for the first time in December. I can't make a Friday meeting because of work, but I could catch up on Saturday...I have a new-to-me Warbonnet Blackbird. I have always been interested in camping but have never actually done it. Well, I've been car camping, but I don't count that experience because you don't carry your gear further than 100 feet from the support vehicle. I'll be watching this thread.
    Check out Central Kentucky Backpackers group on meetup I set up one every two weeks. Usually work the trips put so people people join leave with each day.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast