Thread: Hola from Spain

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Asym

Hola from Spain

Hi all, I have recently purchased a Hennessey Explorer Asym and I am looking forward to trying it out this weekend. Kayaking to an island on lake Iznajar in Cordoba, Spain on Friday for a one night try out. I have not used a hammock before, always using small Vango tents that would easily fit on my motorcycle. The idea of hammock camping interested me so I purchased what appears to be popular model. While on the island I will be setting Camera traps to see what animals are sharing the location with me. I'll let you know how I get on.

Best regards
    Jeff

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Georgia. Sounds like a great first test for your gear. Be sure and post a trip report so we can see how it went for you.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Fl Jacket
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Bienvenido del estado de Pennsylvania!
    good luck on your adventure and feel free to post pics!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from Florida. Northern Spain in the Cantabrian Mountains of Asturias is one of my favorite places on earth for both the natural beauty and the people seemingly lost in time.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Asym
    On Friday 17th October I set out on my first hang at the island of the mosque, situated on the largest lake of Andalucia. An easy paddle of just two miles from the man made beach, the island measures six hundred yards by three hundred and fifty yards with the highest point just one hundred foot above the water. On the island are olive trees, (planted way before the damming of the river Genil took place in nineteen sixty-nine), fig trees and assorted shrub bushes. The ground is covered in thyme plants and the smell when walked through is amazing. In the past, I have seen a fox and rabbits that live on the island so I took my camera traps with me to see if I could get photographic evidence of their existence. The other main inhabitants of the island appear to be ants, thousands of them, from the water’s edge to the high water mark (Also lots of bats during the night). I took my Hennessy Explorer Asym , Decathlon self inflating mattress (folded in half), and a Vango two season sleeping bag for my accommodation. All my cooking was done on a triangia 27-1 using methylated spirits for fuel. Knowing about the ant population before my trip I purchased a small mesh hammock that was used to store all my equipment off the floor, a good choice. After looking on the web at various ideas to use when hanging, I got two karabiners and rings to hang the hammock from the straps and I made two elasticated guy rope stays. I must say that it was very warm during the night and I managed to move around quite easily without too much trouble, I had to readjust the mattress only once as I felt the cold of the fabric against my side. The entrance and exit through the bottom Velcro fastened slot is easy and it made getting out to peg the tarp at a lower angle during the night as the wind got stronger a synch. By five pm on Saturday I’d repacked everything into my kayak and unfortunately had no photo’s of any of the wildlife that should be on the island (I did see empty shotgun cartridges on the ground). I had however caught myself three-largemouth bass over three kilo’s so it was a good break, perhaps I’ll catch them again next time.
    Another overnighter is planned for next week, this time two others are joining me. I’ll keep you all posted. Are there any other hangers in this part of Spain?

I have tried to post some photo's but I don't appear to be able to select them.
    Regards
    Jeff

• + New Posts