Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chriss View Post
    I am sure that I will eventually purchase one of Fire's hammocks because I want to support the idea and I don't mind having a seasonal hammock. But I agree with pgibson about being able to vent the hammock during higher day time temps. Especially this time of year when highs can still be in the 80s and lows in the 40s in the South.
    Thanks for the thought. I'm happy to help when I can.
    I use one in all seasons and have taken it down to 80F at night with 90% humidity. It was fine, I was hot, but at that temp, I almost don't want to be outside anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I agree with Paul that cost doesn't really favor sewn-on underquilts. I think it's a toss-up, financially, unless you start placing a value on your time, and that's a whole other story. As to venting, that's a personal metabolic issue. I'm quite comfortable in an insulated hammock, even on warm nights. (Paul, what are you doing lollygagging in a hammock in the middle of the afternoon!)

If you use sewn-on insulation, it pays to minimize cost, weight, and bulk by making the insulating layer the right shape to fit the hammock. (It won't be the same shape as the hammock it's attached to.) The trade-off is that it's not simple - not even close. Good luck!
    It's definitely not simple. But my time in camp is precious. That's where this pays off the most. If I'm day hiking and want to lounge I take my 5oz 9'x4' hammock, if I'm camping, I take a Bonefire™. Cost is high just to get the materials, so, for me, the cost savings is in the absence of fiddle factor and an increase in time asleep because set up time was reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    I've been buying all this high tech hammock gear offerd around our HF vendors since 2010.
    I have never had to replace any of my quilts but I have wornout or damaged 3 hammocks and had to replaced them.
    Just something to consider.
    Hammocks are the cheapest part of our hobby.
    Agreed. Hammocks are usually the cheapest part. The only hammock I've ever had to replace was a 1.1oz fabric SL hammock that I hung too close to a concrete barrier. I climbed in and it sagged until it touched the barrier and tore. I've been very careful ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Yar- taking no real credit on my end...
    I like it though so far!

Mainly wanted to share that this wasn't as intimidating as I first RE-thought after WV got the problem though my thick skull.

Thanks for the links! Any info helps. WV's short post above was a big help and saved me from blowing out my insulation the first time around.
    30's tonight! so we'll see how it goes.

Rickb @wb right? thought I saw Another Kevin mention that you used this screen name somewhere?

Attachment 95386Attachment 95387Attachment 95388Attachment 95389

Still messing with the tarp design- ideas welcome.
    That looks nice. I'm glad that you went for it. There is a lot to be said about someone giving this a go. A bridge hammock is less complicated, but still difficult and you seem to have done well. There's more insulation on there than I would use, but I'm just a bit more minimalistic. Enjoy the fruit of your labor.
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge

Updated- Version 2

Had a chance to do some updates-
    Just a bridge 2.jpg

After extensive talks here and elsewhere I think I am giving up on synthetics much past one layer (still may try PL) so this version is a mostly single layer Apex 2.5. I'd call it a 40, some would call it a 55/60- depends on how you sleep.

I was able to get MOST of the insulation trickery down to a single center seam-(there is more going on inside)-
    insulation seam.jpg

In using the first one- I found I wasn't even using the end extension at the head end- so it got chopped and the foot end got a few inches extra.
    foot end 1.jpgfoot end 2.jpg

So what to do with that head end and all that wasted space?
    I'd like to introduce the gear trunk (assuming it hasn't already been introduced)
    gear trunk1.jpggear trunk 2.jpg
    When you're actually in it, it straightens out well enough- the geometry works out that you can reach in, or simply dump stuff into it from inside
    gear trunk 3.jpeg
    A hunk of bug netting would stop any gear from tumbling back in, but I figured I'd try the least minimal version first.

Luxury features-(In my UL mind anyway, lol)
    Added the gear trunk- about .75 oz (Argon used)- not sure if this is a keeper- but likely less weight than other options
    Added a bug net triangle at the foot end- 1/4 oz. - keeper- likely need to add one at the other side.
    Added a bonus CBS bandaid- though you can't see it- hidden in there is a 12"x29" piece of insulation at the butt and wrapping the hips-(.75oz)
    Seeing as it's 14 Degrees today and I'm wearing a skirt- I can tell you that the butt piece definitely works- also- this may allow the hammock to be stretched a bit into cooler temps than it's rating suggests- so likely a keeper.

And the grand tally all in-
    Dutch hook to dutch hook- 10oz even (including lines and ridgeline)
    Not included- final straps- (current experimental set with new Dutch speed hook- 1.4oz)
    Poles- they come out at 4oz even
    Tarp- Ridge line is 100"- I have a 60x100" on there now- a bit small though.
    A guess at a final design- Sil- 8oz, Cuben- 4oz

Gently packed (don't overcompress synthetic)- 6x6x10

Top quilt- I have two; an apex at 12 oz, a down at 14 oz- both good for these temps in my experience with them.

So assuming it all works- tree to tree and Under to top- A summer to early shoulder season complete rig.
    36 ounces with Sil tarp, 32 ounces with Cuben tarp

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 Dbl Layer
    Tarp
    WB Edge or DIY
    Insulation
    HG 20* UQ + DIY TQ
    I'm not sure if it was already mentioned or not, but this approach seems like it would help in cold weather. If you used an 20 - 40 degree UQ under the 2.5oz of Apex, that would help eliminate drafts.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234