Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Well that was easy enough.
    Beginner's Luck?

Probably my narrower bridge helped a bit as there wasn't much stretch to begin with.
    Measured butt mountain and shoulder divide- made a new pattern 2" longer and used the same curve from the bridge body with the new center and shoulder measurements.

Anywho-
    I ended up sewing in an extra piece of Apex- I had a 24x36 or so scrap that I sewed to the outer shell. So I have 1 layer of 2.5 Apex everywhere (including endcaps) and a second layer in the same position as a torso pad.

40's has been fine so far, supposed to dip to 30's tonight.

26" bridge- full insulation, loop to loop (including ridgeline)- 15.1 ounces.
    Hyper D 1.0 hammock, Apex 2.5, Argon .67 shell.

Hammock
    Hexon halfwit
    Tarp
    Zpacks standard
    Insulation
    DIY apex quilts
    Suspension
    Whoooopeeeee
    Very cool. I would love to see a picture if you have one.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    The idea has been around for quite a while. IIRC, it even pre-dates HF. Here are examples:

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/warmhammock.htm

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearWarmHammock.html
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    The idea has been around for quite a while. IIRC, it even pre-dates HF. Here are examples:

http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/warmhammock.htm

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearWarmHammock.html
    Yar- taking no real credit on my end...
    I like it though so far!

Mainly wanted to share that this wasn't as intimidating as I first RE-thought after WV got the problem though my thick skull.

Thanks for the links! Any info helps. WV's short post above was a big help and saved me from blowing out my insulation the first time around.
    30's tonight! so we'll see how it goes.

Rickb @wb right? thought I saw Another Kevin mention that you used this screen name somewhere?

insul bridge- ends.jpginsul bridge.jpginsul bridge- torso.jpgbridge tarp 1.jpg

Still messing with the tarp design- ideas welcome.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Well done! Keep at it. I like the spreader bars moved toward the center. Did you base that on Grizz's Ultralight Bridge or make it up yourself? Either way, good job. I'm going to try that on my 1.5 person bridge under construction. (It's actually 1 person + 1 dog). I'll be adding insulation to it if the separate compartments work.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post

Rickb @wb right? thought I saw Another Kevin mention that you used this screen name somewhere?
    Russb @wb
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Hexon halfwit
    Tarp
    Zpacks standard
    Insulation
    DIY apex quilts
    Suspension
    Whoooopeeeee
    Thanks for the pics. That looks like a very comfy nest. I am looking forward to future posts and updates as you test it various temps. If ever I can wrap my head around the 3d, I intend to make a very similar (argon, hyper d, apex) gathered end version. Thank you for the effort and for sharing.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    WV- Yar- started with Grizz's design at 36" spreader. Tried two of those, scaled it down to 26" bar and on the 3rd? version of that. Probably need one more to dial it in.... and then another to dial that one in.
    I noticed I slide down and find the sweet spot well outside the "head" endcap. Debating shrinking the pole to pole distance or keeping the pattern but ditching the head add on.

DuctTape- close in spelling, nowhere near otherwise.

Gnomad- Good luck- I think the bridge, especially my narrower one, is much easier to figure out. I simply clipped a tailor's measuring tape to the channel at a few points and then got in to measure the deflection at each spot and smoothed out the numbers to make a pattern. I picked up 3" over 25" in the narrow part of the bridge, but only 2" at the wider ends near the bar- so maybe there isn't as much deflection in a gathered end as the weight is spread over a bigger area of fabric??

For anyone-
    I figured things a bit bigger- thinking that a little extra room would only create more trapped air and make it easier to construct.

Talking to the Folks at BPL they suggested that a half inch air gap would be beneficial, much like the gap in a thermopane window- but if the gap got too big there would be air currents in that layer. Not sure if it made the difference or not- but the only Apex I had left was too small to one piece it- so I cut quarter pieces out and added an inch seam allowance and simply sewed them together. Point being, when finished I had a full size piece with a plus sign shaped "bumper" of Apex about 3/4" thick that holds the quilt off the body of the hammock and creates the air gaps and stabilized the extra inch or so of slop I added.
    Sorta like the "tubes" I saw referenced in the insultex quilts.

The only darts I sewed were at the center of each end of the body where it met the endcaps. Very similar to the dart in Grizz's UL bridge video. Otherwise it was basically a bridge body sized piece but roughly 4" wider. (3" for stretch, 1" for play.) I added an 1.5" to the shell (.625" thick insulation times two plus some rounding)

Sorry forgot to take pics of that part, but hopefully it makes sense...

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Frost on the rooftops, none on the ground... I'd have to agree with the weatherman on mid 30's for the lows.

quite a nice sleep- woke up twice to roll over- recovered warmth quickly- had lots of dreams...

I'd have to call it a success!
    I wore shorts and a baselayer top- used an old 35 degree sleeping bag as a TQ and wore a fleece hat.

I would imagine that upper 20's wouldn't be pleasant, but I would get some sleep. So for me at least, I'd say comfort at 40, extreme at 25 to use the EN rating style. It wasn't nasty windy or damp, but still...

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    That's a nifty bit of DIY! One day I'm going to have to have a bash at a bridge.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast