Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My Unnecessary Preference for Sleeping Bags?

Last weekend I had my very first two nights out camping with a hammock, my 30 degree down sleeping bag and a sleeping pad. The nightly temperatures were floating around 40 degrees. The bag and pad combo worked fine just as everyone usually advices, but it's definitely not a long-term solution for myself. I have no problem switching the pad for under quilts, but maybe you people can sway me away from sleeping bags?

First, I had no problems entering and exiting the hammock using a sleeping bag and I think the hood is very important for warmth and comfort. Quilts and sleeping bag-styled quilts get rid of the hood and all of the back material, both raise some concerns for me, because I really like having the hood of a sleeping bag. I'm also probably one of the few people here who liked the feeling of being wrapped around in a warm bag. I hear some people get claustrophobic using a sleeping bag in a hammock, but my whole gear testing experience was nothing but positive and thoughtful.

The problem I have here is getting an even slightly optimized setup. Thermarest's new sleeping bags, where they have moved the insulation from the back to the sides and front, still somehow weight a lot and reviews are lukewarm at best. The bags seem to have been constructed with inferior fabrics and filling; a half-hearted effort by Thermarest?

I wonder if my concerns about quilts are unfounded? I can definitely imagine ditching the sleeping bag for a quilt in summer time, but I wonder what I can do for winter? I've seen separate down hoods being sold, but then I would rather go with a sleeping bag that has a proper draft collar and an integrated hood. I guess I'm mostly afraid of getting my neck area exposed and cold.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Most of us have made the switch to quilts because we are hikers and backpackers. We're gram weenies. We don't usually wanna carry even an ounce of extra weight if at all possible. Loosing the unusable, compressed back material and the zipper and the hood all translates to less weight carried. Not to mention you run a slight risk of poking a hole in your hammock with the zipper (which can be remedied with a little tape but that's more weight :P )

I use a hood/balaclava in my hammock because, well... it's useful outside my hammock too. And being weight conscience, I need all my gear to pull double duty, if not triple or more.

If you are mainly a car camper, or more fiscally responsible stay with what works for you. HYOH!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Until recently I used a sleeping bag in cooler weather. I now have a top quilt that I have used 5 or 6 times.
    I liked the way the sleeping bag totally surrounded me (no drafts) and I did not think the TQ would do that as well. I was wrong - the TQ snugs up right around me and it is easy to lift an edge to get in a cool rush of air if needed.
    I turn from side to side often in the night and the sleeping bag had a tendency to turn with me if I didn't take care. The TQ lets me spin without disturbing the fit of the TQ.
    I didn't like to close up the neck of the sleeping bag because it pulled the hood up to be in my way (I never used the hood). The TQ has a draw string that I use to close it up around the neck. No drafts, keeps everything in place, and still lets me turn.
    I did not have a great deal of trouble getting into the SB but it took a little effort to get it under me properly. The TQ is easy to slip into and out of.
    My 20* Wiggy's bag weighs 71 ounces!!! My 20* Burrow weighs 21 ounces. That right there made me a convert.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    This should help:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Quilt-decision

Fast forward a few months and I now have a 40° and 20° top quilt and LOVE THEM!!! I may still use my sleeping bag in COLD COLD weather, but that's only a few nights each year.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    If you're having success with a sleeping bag and pad, no reason to change. But, quilts do cinch around your neck, and this allows you to bring whatever head gear you want. Most of the time a medium duty stocking cap is more than sufficient. I suppose I could see purchasing a Big Agnes bag or similar that has no insulation on the bottom if that's what you think you prefer AND you're looking to spend less.

If you don't mind spending on an UQ/TQ then think of it this way... the UQ will wrap around you more than the pad, and the TQ will allow you to vent as needed and really doesn't need to be tucked all that much with the UQ insulating your sides - ends up being what most of us experience at home in bed with blankets. And while insulating your head is important, its not necessary to do so with bag/quilt insulation, though, you can also purchase a down hood if desired.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I was always worried about missing the hood. But wearing a cap and putting a pillow/extra clothes/jacket under your head really helps. Below 20°, I may want something more substantial though.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I agree with all the above. SB work fine but a backpacker needs to consider that they are usually a little heaver and bulkier than a TQ.
    I have used and like a nice down TQ but can't justify the cost.
    SBs are easy to maintain and cheap to replace - thus I have one for use above 50F and one for below 50F (and several for the grandkids).
    I use mummy bags and I like to use the hoods/cinch cords from about 50F and lower. When I roll around the SB rolls with me. Above 55F the SB is used as a TQ. Very versatile for all temps.
    If I was only stocking equipment for myself, I'd use a 20F down TQ and a couple UQs I could stack.
    With 9 grandkids - SBs are the answer for me.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Tarp
    Insulation
    Lynx Winter Full
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Jari Perho,I switched over to a bottom quilt quite a while back to use with my Ridgerunner and it was one of the best pieces of hammock gear that I have ever invested in. Huge difference over a closed cell foam pad. I have always used sleeping bags and have quite a verity of them from +35 to -40. I just recently got a Hammock Gear Burrow 0 with 2 extra ounces of down added. I am a cold sleeper to say the least. This past weekend I was up in the mountains of Utah and it got down to 23 degrees. I put my Feathered Friends down booties on because my feet got a little cool. The body was very warm with no issues there. I really like the way it easily wraps around me. Since I am a backpacker the difference in weight is Very Substantial. Compare my Mountain Hardwear 0 degree bag at 63 oz. to the new Burrow 0 with +2 oz. down that weighs in at 29 oz. It also literally takes up about half the amount of space. Now in agreeance with you I do miss the hood. I got my bag in the short and I wish I had gotten the regular or even the long. I did get the wide at 55" and it is fantastic coverage. by the way I am 67" tall and 185 lbs. I also like the feel and warmth of the down wrapped around my head and face. It does snug up around the neck very well so it is no issue. Maybe someone would let you barrow their Burrow :-) and see what you think of it before you jump into it? Good Luck!

I can't thank you people enough. I've just been reading and absorbing new information like a dry sponge...

Here's a tricky curveball back at ya: What if I keep the sleeping bag and merely augment it with a top quilt? This way I would retain the hood and snug fit of a sleeping bag. Not the most lightest solution of course, but I don't think I'm ready to dive into colder temperatures without a sleeping bag. I've been trying to test what an opened sleeping bag feels like as a quilt, but I guess I have a chilly neck area. The feeling of a draw string around my throat also creates an instant suffocating feeling...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Using both is a lot of down...sounds super cozy to me though!! But obviously bulky and heavy.

I've only used a TQ down to around freezing so far, so I can't comment on cold weather. I'm not so sure how I'll do in the winter. Even in the low 30's, I grabbed by fleece jacket and tucked it around my shoulders and neck. But it was a 40 TQ.

I guess you could always make a DIY hood. I'm not that handy, but I bet someone could sew something pretty nice to fill the gap between a sleeping bag hood and hat.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast