Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, ??? TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

New Hanger Questions

I am new to hammock camping but I have done my homework. I have been away from camping for a while and planned to start with tarp camping but then discovered hammock camping. Some of my gear was purchased before I realized hammocks might be a better alternative for me. However; I just had my first overnight and it showed me some gaps.

The best trees I have for testing are in my front yard but here was my pre-trip setup.
    • Hammock: ENO singlenest with DIY adjustable ridgeline
    • Suspension: DIY tree straps, Amsteel continuous loop with cinch buckles
    • Tarp: DIY tarp (11' ridgeline asym cat hex) with a continuous ridgeline and DIY snake skins
    • Insulation: Thermarest NeoAir Xlite and an REI Halo 40 sleeping bag (not pictured)

Hammock with fronkey inspired bugnet

Hammock with fronkey inspired bugnet, continuous ridgeline with tarp in snake skins

Hammock with tarp in porch mode, bugnet at one side

Hammock with tarp in porch mode, bugnet deployed

My first outing was great and I learned a few things. The big take aways for me after my first trip were:
    1. My hammock might be too small and/or my adjustable ridgeline isn't dialed in properly
      • Problem: I am 6'4 with an ENO singlenest
      • Solution: Buy and 11' hammock. The Dutchware Argon is half the weight and probably a good next step. I simply need more nights in a hammock testing my adjustable ridgeline.
    2. Insulation needs improvement
      • Problem: Inflatable air mattresses can be challenging in a hammock when trying to sleep at an angle from the center line of the hammock.
      • Solution: DIY underquilt. I have done some considerable research and plan to start this project in the near term to get back out there.
    3. Bugnet clastrophobia
      • Problem: I woke up at 4am and couldn't get comfortable. I had a fear I would fall our of my hammock in my sleeping bag surrounded by the bugnet.
      • Solution: I think changing my insulation from a pad and sleeping bag to an underquilt / top quilt will alleviate much of my sleeping discomfort as will a longer hammock.

The bugnet wasn't actually needed this trip. And perhaps won't be required much now that the weather is turning colder in TN.

The tarp worked out fine. However; I would like to make another tarp probably a diamond to save a bit of weight. I am also using glowire as my guyouts with shock cord auto tensioners.

My suspension needed to be re-worked in the field. I have 6' tree straps and of course the trees I wanted to hang from were a bit farther apart than the cinch buckles and tree straps could make it. Being the nerd I am and a new hanger I brought (2) additional suspension options: continuous loops with rings and whoope slings with toggles. The rings wouldn't have allowed for any greater distance so I swapped out one cinch buckle for a whoopie sling and had plenty of distance to hang. Because of this I am probably a whoopie sling hanger from here on out.

If you have read this far, thank you! My question for HF is this...The information on the web spans years and I think my setup is relatively up to date. Is there any I am missing or don't really need in this setup? Based on my own recommendations after my first hang do you have any feedback related to those changes?

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    You're doing well so far, although I'd recommend against a diamond tarp.

But isn't it a little early for Christmas decorations?

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    0 Lynx, MMSS
    I think you have a very valid assessment and I think that going for the Dutch hammock would be a good start. Pads are not fun in gathered end hammocks either. An UQ is the way to go.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A 11' hammock would be good for your height.

Other than that keep hanging and you can upgrade piece by piece as you learn.

Be careful. Hammocks multiply like rabbits.

Hammock
    Brazilian Organic Merlot Family
    You must not have an HOA or you don't care. A setup in the front yard would never go over in my neighborhood.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I would say that you are a fast learner!
    Seriously, the changes you propose are exactly what I have using for a few years. Of course it took me more than one night to figure it out. (Geez, where's the fun in not going through 15 iterations?)
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Personally, I like a good diamond tarp. My biggest regret is selling my jrb 8x8 tarp years ago; they are no longer in production...

Looks like you are on the fast track to me!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    DW 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, ??? TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by @Diagonal View Post
    You must not have an HOA or you don't care. A setup in the front yard would never go over in my neighborhood.
    Thankfully, No HOA!! I know all my neighbors well and they know I am bit peculiar.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I would say that you are a fast learner!
    Seriously, the changes you propose are exactly what I have using for a few years. Of course it took me more than one night to figure it out. (Geez, where's the fun in not going through 15 iterations?)
    Thanks. What is the quote about it being about the journey not the destination? Anyway, I am a tinkerer so there will be more iterations once I get to my new proposed setup. I see a DIY hammock with integrated bugnet as project before next summer. And every hammock needs its own ready to go suspension. A tarp...insulation...accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Personally, I like a good diamond tarp. My biggest regret is selling my jrb 8x8 tarp years ago; they are no longer in production...

Looks like you are on the fast track to me!
    I was curious about the prior diamond comment. I assume it is a coverage issue but didn't ask. What in particular do you like about the diamond?

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Good coverage, two stakes, no unneeded material/weight. Just big enough to do whatever you need.

I used a Hennessey asym tarp for years and never once did me or my gear get wet. And yes, I rode out some very windy rain storms. The diamond is not asym but it is slightly bigger and allows more room for cooking and lounging.

I feel for the hype of needing a bigger tarp and sold it to fund a bigger tarp; I wish I hadn't. Someday I will build a new one.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    OTOH;

My personal feelings on diamond tarps are that coverage is too little at the ends and, if it is symmetrical, may expose your head and/or feet when sleeping on the diagonal.

Either way, the ridgeline should be at least (IMHO) 2 feet longer than the ridgeline of your hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast