Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter (HHSS) Upper Back Cold Spot

Hello everyone, >>>after introducing myself<<<, this is my first post in the forum.

I live in a place where you can find tropical jungles, drive 2 hours and be in a cool sierra with only pines.

I use my HH in temperatures ranging from 30 to 100 F (-1 to 38 C), And those ranges can change between a week.

Or sometimes in the beach, if its not windy and it doesnt rain, temperature can go up to 105 F (40C), and the next night there's a lot of rain and wind and you find yourself somewhere around 50F (10C).

Underquilts seem the to go thing, at this time, they are extreamly hard to find, if not impossible. Also Rain over here sometimes feels like its raining from the ground, i've gotten wet inside tents like >>>this one<<< more than once. So underquilts have a very high risk of getting wet. I sometimes even get the bottom of my sleeping bag into a thrash bag to prevent it from getting wet.

And like most of you know, CCF pads arent very comfortable inside the hammock, and they are also VERY bulky for me.

The Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter seemed like a very versatile piece of equipment, it might not go to sub-freezing temperatures (I know some of you have gone there, but not the rest of us mortals). But I rarely go to sub-freezing.

I've gotten wet from rain splashing in the ground back to the hammock, and the cover helps with that, it also helps with drafts below the hammock, all in all the thing I like the most is the undercover, the pad is a bonus Ithink. Also if the under pad gets wet it is still way warmer than an underquilt.

Since I had a Hennessy Hammock, it seemed obvious to me to get a HHSS, thinking that it would be designed to be ideal for the HH.
    Even tho it is very nice, it's far away from being perfect.

However when using the HHSS in the 50's I get a cold spot in my upper back, right between my shoulders. I I think it is because the pad bends and somehow allows the cold to sip in there, however I noticed that there is a big space between my butt and the pad aswell, and that zone is always warm.
    I tried adjusting the tension of the undercover on the side of my head, but I didn't notice any improvement.

I havent been able to find an answer to yet (other than to put a down vest or jacket in there, but for the same reasons an UQ isn't that viable for me, carrying a down jacket isnt either, Unless I carry it for the sole purpose of fixing that, and an extra fleece for me.

If any of you might have a clue about what to do or what might be causing it, or how to fix, or anything, I'll be very thankful.

Also, sorry for the ultra long post

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    If adjusting the pad or moving the attachment point (mitten hook zip tied on the suspension) further away from the hammock incrementally until a sweet spot is identified doesn't work. You may try placing a small piece of space blanked on top of the HHSS pad at the cold spot, using one of Dutch's sit pads directly between you and the hammock body at the cold spot or you could call HH and see if they will send you one of their kidney pad extenders/supplements. BillyBob had that product and has used it with good success.

Good luck with your HHSS.

Quote Originally Posted by Xailoh View Post
    Hello everyone, >>>after introducing myself<<<, this is my first post in the forum.

I live in a place where you can find tropical jungles, drive 2 hours and be in a cool sierra with only pines.

I use my HH in temperatures ranging from 30 to 100 F (-1 to 38 C), And those ranges can change between a week.

Or sometimes in the beach, if its not windy and it doesnt rain, temperature can go up to 105 F (40C), and the next night there's a lot of rain and wind and you find yourself somewhere around 50F (10C).

Underquilts seem the to go thing, at this time, they are extreamly hard to find, if not impossible. Also Rain over here sometimes feels like its raining from the ground, i've gotten wet inside tents like >>>this one<<< more than once. So underquilts have a very high risk of getting wet. I sometimes even get the bottom of my sleeping bag into a thrash bag to prevent it from getting wet.

And like most of you know, CCF pads arent very comfortable inside the hammock, and they are also VERY bulky for me.

The Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter seemed like a very versatile piece of equipment, it might not go to sub-freezing temperatures (I know some of you have gone there, but not the rest of us mortals). But I rarely go to sub-freezing.

I've gotten wet from rain splashing in the ground back to the hammock, and the cover helps with that, it also helps with drafts below the hammock, all in all the thing I like the most is the undercover, the pad is a bonus Ithink. Also if the under pad gets wet it is still way warmer than an underquilt.

Since I had a Hennessy Hammock, it seemed obvious to me to get a HHSS, thinking that it would be designed to be ideal for the HH.
    Even tho it is very nice, it's far away from being perfect.

However when using the HHSS in the 50's I get a cold spot in my upper back, right between my shoulders. I I think it is because the pad bends and somehow allows the cold to sip in there, however I noticed that there is a big space between my butt and the pad aswell, and that zone is always warm.
    I tried adjusting the tension of the undercover on the side of my head, but I didn't notice any improvement.

I havent been able to find an answer to yet (other than to put a down vest or jacket in there, but for the same reasons an UQ isn't that viable for me, carrying a down jacket isnt either, Unless I carry it for the sole purpose of fixing that, and an extra fleece for me.

If any of you might have a clue about what to do or what might be causing it, or how to fix, or anything, I'll be very thankful.

Also, sorry for the ultra long post
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have never used the HH SS, but a piece of Reflectix (if you can get it where you live) has worked wonders for me. I have used it as a sit pad, and at night put it between the layers of my DL hammock under my lower torso because I had a cold spot there. The layers help keeping it in place, but I guess you could also simply lie on it.

Thank you both, didn't think of just a small piece in there, silly me, will try both and see which one fits me better..

Also I didn't know I could ask HH a kidney pad

Images
    Thank you both, didn't think of just a small piece in there, silly me, will try both and see which one fits me better..

Also I didn't know I could ask HH a kidney pad
    They used to sell small pads called kidney and torso to really boost the warmth right where it is needed most, and which have always worked great for me. I have no idea if they still sell them, for some odd reason they have never advertised them, you have to ask.

I am trying to picture your problem, I have never had that particular one happen. I had a major cold spot on my left shoulder once. Got up in the middle of the night to find I had failed to thread the hammock side elastics back through the pad and UC after I had them disconnected while using the old bottom entry model as a chair. Hooked back up and all was fine.

But my upper back and the space between my shoulders have always been a fine fit, the pad and UC seem to curve around my shoulders quite nicely. I have never had a cold spot there, but I suppose it is possible that the pad could be wrinkling in that spot for some reason? It(pad) has an inherent "U" shape to it, that naturally surrounds my shoulders, but I suppose a wrinkle is possible. But as to why I am at a loss.

Are you using the hammocks elastics/side pull outs- doubled up for extra strength as recommended by HH- through the pad side loops and UC side openings? And are the pads end bridles (elastic loops) well attached to the hammock prussicks? (sometimes I shorten these with a knot to provide a little extra tension).

The suggestions already given- to stuff something- fleece jacket,reflectix, etc- in between the pad and UC ( but if reflectix or anything not breathable then between hammock and pad) should work even though it should not be needed if things are correct. But I have for many years used the technique of stuffing unworn clothing(fleece is great) underneath the pad. But this is for the purpose of extending the range beyond the 30s-40sF, or if also using kidney/torso pads well below 20F. An added zipped up(to use both layers) fleece jacket and/or pants has never failed me. Other stuff helps also. If you have trouble keeping it in place between your shoulders, you might have to rig a cord to secure it.

I hate to state the obvious, but just in case: you are using the recommended 2-3 oz full length space blanket between your hammock and the pad, aren't you? If not, this can make all the difference in the world. It is a part of the original design and meant to be used.

Good luck!

EDIT: Normally, the pad has a nice snug fit from butt to neck, though the legs might be not as snug. But if you have a zip model, have you tried just reaching out, grabbing the edges of the pad and gently pulling left to right? Which should straighten the wrinkle? Be careful, that pad is fragile and it is easy to poke a hole in it, but don't panic if you do it is easily patched. I always try to grab it through the space blanket and/or UC.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-17-2014 at 12:31.

Thank you Billy for your time and help.

Just last night I noticed that right at the top section of the pad, between the two head shock cords, the pad bends into itself, however no matter how much I try to pull from both sides or just 1 or from outside the hammock (with someone in there), the pad will bend back again. I dont know if that would qualify as a wrinkle.

I have watched the how to video in HH site, I just watched it again cause you confused me with the "doble up for extra strength", that might be my fail, I haven't noticed elasti loops on the pad, I just threaded the elastic through the undercover.

This might be it, however I don't see why something in the middle of the pad would affect the head side.

About the space blanket, I did use one the first night, but at times I was too hot on my legs and butt and a little cold on my back. I was in pretty good weather, but i'm heading out to the woods this weekend, and its probably gonna be around 35F. Even before hammock camping I always carry a space blanket with me (and use it when necessary), so I was just thinking to use it only when I was actually cold, not just a spot...

The shock cords on both ends of the pad are loose, so I tied knots on both sides. Is that normal?

Even before getting the HHSS I was thinking of adding unused clothes underneath the hammock for extra warmth, but just carrying a jacket for the sole use of using it for the cold spot wasn't my idea :P

Also.... I did punch a hole through the middle of the pad with my thumb :S what would be the best method to patch it ? I was thinking ductape, but anything done with ductape can be done with something else and more efficiently.

I'll try the loops tonight and hope that my mistake was there.. But if so, this means that the underpad cannot be used without the side pullouts? That's a shame, I almost never use them, was even thinking about removing them, as I like swinging a bit in the hammock while Im falling asleep`

EDIT: I tried it and good gods that seemed to have been the Problem, its one of those times when you feel really dumb eheh. But anyways, what is the need of doubling the side elastic ??
    Last edited by Xailoh; 10-17-2014 at 15:27.

Images
    Hey there X. I will just do all my comments (in a dif color or bold) within the quote from you for speed sake

Thank you Billy for your time and help.

Just last night I noticed that right at the top section of the pad, between the two head shock cords, the pad bends into itself, however no matter how much I try to pull from both sides or just 1 or from outside the hammock (with someone in there), the pad will bend back again. I dont know if that would qualify as a wrinkle.

Bill says:First I'm thinking you need to call HH because that is just screwy. There should be no major bend or wrinkle. if the pad is laid out on the floor, is there a bend then, or is it a nice smooth U shape? Like the picture here? (scroll down)
    http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/insulation/
    One thought: if these pads are packed up and compressed for a long time, as they come from the factory, It is possible for a "memory" to set in. A temporary shape. For example, the pad might not have full thickness for a while after it has been stored in the small stuff sack the HHSS ships in. But mine have always come back to full thickness without too many days, so if there is some sort of crease that is trying to become perm, I'd think it would go away shortly. Especially if you store it in some way so as to flatten out the crease.

I have watched the how to video in HH site, I just watched it again cause you confused me with the "doble up for extra strength", that might be my fail, I haven't noticed elasti loops on the pad, I just threaded the elastic through the undercover.

This might be it, however I don't see why something in the middle of the pad would affect the head side.

Bill: Danged typos, I of course meant "doubled up" but I think you figured that out. The UC has it's own elastics as I'm sure you noticed, the purpose of which is to hold the HHSS open cell foam(OCF) pad and space blanket just snug enough against your back for warmth, but not enough to compress the egg crate pad significantly. The normal elastic/shock cord side pull outs on the hammock don't have to fight as much tension as they do once you add the pad and especially the UC and run the side pull outs through the UC and pad side loops. So to keep the hammock open as normal(and net away from your face)- and also to open up the pad and UC wider- it requires a stronger shock cord. I said double up but actually I normally quadruple it or just get a thicker, stronger piece of shock cord. It may not be all that necessary but it was suggested by HH as the way to do it and might(or not) help keep your pad crease/wrinkle open.

About the space blanket, I did use one the first night, but at times I was too hot on my legs and butt and a little cold on my back. I was in pretty good weather, but i'm heading out to the woods this weekend, and its probably gonna be around 35F. Even before hammock camping I always carry a space blanket with me (and use it when necessary), so I was just thinking to use it only when I was actually cold, not just a spot...

That's fine, that was actually the way the space blanket(SB) was originally meant to be used, add it once you start getting cold for a big difference. And many of us here have confirmed that either it's reflection or it'e vapor barrier(VB) function or both does indeed make a quickly noticeable difference. So just add it when you need it or when it won't make it too hot. But keep this in mind: the Outer UC sil-nylon shell is a vapor barrier. When it gets cold enough, the vapor your body gives off will condense on that cold UC and soak your pad. I have slept at 40 to 50 with no SB and got away with it, though once my legs were a little cold and it might have been due to some very light condensation happening. One other time with no SB at about 48-50 I was warm all night but woke up the next morning with the foot of my pad and synthetic bag soaked. Since then I have always used the SB just to keep my pad dry. Just be aware sooner or later you will probably need it(most likely below 40) and if you get condensation without it, then you for sure need it.

The shock cords on both ends of the pad are loose, so I tied knots on both sides. Is that normal?
    I do the same. As long as the pad is not pulled too tight once you are in, no problem. You just want the pad nice and snug or in contact against your back and butt, and you should be able to push it all down and away from you with your hands(if the side pull outs don't interfere). Actually, IMO, the uC provides 90% of the force to keep the pad against your back. Those end bridles don't make much difference compared to the UC elastics.

Even before getting the HHSS I was thinking of adding unused clothes underneath the hammock for extra warmth, but just carrying a jacket for the sole use of using it for the cold spot wasn't my idea :P
    Right, I maybe wouldn't carry extra clothing just for that, but if you have anything with you that you are not planning on sleeping in, it can serve a good double purpose under your HH pad more so than sitting in your pack. If you need some extra warmth. Dry leaves can be a big help also. Heck, even a dry extra pair of wool socks or extra balaclava can make a difference (sometimes I lay these really small, light items on top of the pad/under the SB)

Also.... I did punch a hole through the middle of the pad with my thumb :S what would be the best method to patch it ? I was thinking ductape, but anything done with ductape can be done with something else and more efficiently.

HH used to say to just put a dab of seam sealer on the edges and let it sit a few hours. That or duct tape or even both will get it done. But I found even unpatched holes didn't cause much problem, because the edges tend to get pushed together once you are in the hammock.

I'll try the loops tonight and hope that my mistake was there.. But if so, this means that the underpad cannot be used without the side pullouts? That's a shame, I almost never use them, was even thinking about removing them, as I like swinging a bit in the hammock while Im falling asleep`

EDIT: I tried it and good gods that seemed to have been the Problem, its one of those times when you feel really dumb eheh. But anyways, what is the need of doubling the side elastic ??
    I often use the HHSS without the side pull outs, I like that I can move the UC/pad all around where I want them(they stay put). But, I'm just thinking the pull outs might help with that crease you have, and they help with the net also, although I have other tricks for the net. So putting the pull outs through everything did help? If so, glad to hear it. See above for reasons to strenthen the pull out elastics.

Keep us posted on your progress! If the noisy SB bugs you, or it is not durable, consider one of these, much quieter and more durable:http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/...y-blanket.html

Bill

Thank you a lot for your answer, I tried the HHSS last night with the suggestions, and it seemed to work, I didn't have cold spots or anything. However I did have trouble with the pad getting to my right side when I was lying to the left side. I did see you had a post about that and carefully fixed the pad's position. I also patched my pad the way you advised, I used electrical tape instead of duct tape so it doesn't look that bad.

I'm gonna go on a 20 mile hike today, it will be colder than I'm used to in the woods, and very humid (97%). even tho It will be short 10 F from freezing, I worry about the condensation, I like starting moving as soon as I wake up, and carrying extra water in my pad isn't enticing, I will try the SB and see how good it does

Thanks again for your help.

Images
    Your welcome, good luck and let us know how it went!

BB the condensation issue, so as directed by the video SB on top of Foam pad ? So it's protected from condensation coming from the hammock itself?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast