Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket

Underquilt advice for bottom entry...

I have an Eped. Deluxe Classic bottom entry and will be receiving a HG Incubator soon. I had planned on sending it to have a zipper mod done, but before I did, just wanted to ask if it would be possible and practical to use the UQ and bottom entry? It's funny when I bought this hammock I was just learning and thought the total package would be an asset-then I discovered I needed the bigger tarp and how much a pain the rope suspension was-before I'm done I'll have way more in this hammock than I would in a lighter a la carte option. Oh well, live and learn! Thanks for the advice.

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    It is certainly possible to use an underquilt with the bottom entry. The most difficult thing for me is trying to adjust the uq once inside. If you are really dedicated to that hammock, go ahead and get the 2qzq zipper mod. It makes the hammock much nicer to use for lounging and situating stuff in the hammock and reaching for stuff outside and... and.... and...

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I put my own zipper on the left side of my HH Expedition to pull my UQ, which is attached to the HH SS, because with the asymmetrical positioning, it just never stayed over to the left side, even the SS made by HH did not seem to be ever able to just naturally stay over to that left side. And it was WAY up on the right side. but, maybe that's just me.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    I put my own zipper on the left side of my HH Expedition to pull my UQ, which is attached to the HH SS, because with the asymmetrical positioning, it just never stayed over to the left side, even the SS made by HH did not seem to be ever able to just naturally stay over to that left side. And it was WAY up on the right side. but, maybe that's just me.
    So, your HH Super Shelter never stayed in place? I have had more than one and that has never been a problem for me, especially if I am using some strong shock cord(at least stronger than what comes on the HH, or the HH cord shortened by making loops until quadrupled) going from the HH side tie outs through the pad and loops and UC openings. Or at least staying in place well enough to cover my left shoulder, though it does often seem like there is too much to the right side. But actually, I sometimes like to use it with a side zip model without the side pull outs, that way I can position it once I am in exactly as I like it, up higher than my left shoulder, and it still stays in place pretty well.

In fact, I never really had significant trouble with insulation slipping off of my left shoulder until I switched to UQs, and had to find a solution for that.

But, this just shows how much things can vary among us, YMMV and all of that always applies. Only personal testing can really tell us anything, because what works for one does not always work for another.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    Different Types
    I ordered a Jacks R Better nest on Monday and it arrived Thursday (my early Xmas gift from my wife). The nest has the slit for my bottom entry HHs. I just finished setting everything up in the rain that is currently passing by in central MA. I climbed in and it was nice! I will be testing it out tonight where low temps will get down into the mid 40's.

I have used an old sleeping bag as a modified UQ for awhile. It is easy just to push it aside and climb through the bottom slit. Try yours. I don't think you'll find it a problem. It should just snap back into position once you lay back. I did sew some loops where the hammock tie outs were so everything pretty much stayed in place.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Quote Originally Posted by DC125 View Post
    I ordered a Jacks R Better nest on Monday and it arrived Thursday (my early Xmas gift from my wife). The nest has the slit for my bottom entry HHs. I just finished setting everything up in the rain that is currently passing by in central MA. I climbed in and it was nice! I will be testing it out tonight where low temps will get down into the mid 40's.

I have used an old sleeping bag as a modified UQ for awhile. It is easy just to push it aside and climb through the bottom slit. Try yours. I don't think you'll find it a problem. It should just snap back into position once you lay back. I did sew some loops where the hammock tie outs were so everything pretty much stayed in place.
    +1 on the nest I have one and will be using it for the first time this weekend at the Hunger Hang.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Here is a shot from this afternoon.

• + New Posts