Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
    Hi Fronkey when you suggest the UQ from a wind resistant fabric what would you recommend?
    I always thought down proof fabrics, a must for down quilts, were inherently windproof.

To the OP's question, Sock vs Winter Tarp?
    My 12x10 tarp only has 1 set of doors so I don't know if it qualifies as a winter tarp but that is what I use.
    I always set it up to block the prevailing wind and use my breathable UQP and zip over cover to take care of the rest.
    I love this setup. Because i still get a view from the hammock even in bad weather.

Last edited by OutandBack; 10-27-2014 at 10:35.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    SuperFly/ProFly
    Insulation
    HG/UQ UGQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Always
    Images
    I have used a light weight blanket draped over my ridge line creating a simple winter barrier, i had some ideas of rigging it to the ridge line and i liked the idea of blocking morning light out allowing me to sleep as long as i wanted, i recently placed an order for the Dutch sock, i figure this would also help protect my UQ from the the elements, double duty

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I don't get a lot of really cold weather here so my ability to test is limited. The couple of times I have used my sock was in sub 20 degrees with high winds. I used an Old Man Winter Tarp with the windward side set low to block the wind and I left ( Warbonnet Sock ) the sock door partially open. Did not any problem with condensation.

Any thoughts on how a windproof ( ripstop or silnylon ) bottom and canvas top might work ?
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It sounds like this has been a Sock OR a Tarp discussion. I'd use a sock AND a tarp. The idea is - that makes it like a double wall tent; a tent with a rain fly. The sock is breathable and any frost should form on the underside of the tarp, not so much in the sock. But really, there is only so much you can do in below zero temperatures. If it is an ongoing problem, I'd considered switching to a synthetic fill on my quilts.

I really like my WBRR sock and I had it customized to have a zipper on each side. That way I can completely open it up for a wider temperature range. Unlike socks for gathered end hammocks, in order to put the sock on the Ridge Runner, you have to disassemble the suspension a bit. So I put a door on each side and hardly have to remove the sock during the summer.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-24-2014 at 12:00.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Ok, this is the perfect thread for me and my experience from this weekend. I am new to the whole cold weather hammock camping experience, so I need some more advice from this thread. Assuming my insulation is capable for the temp (we all know that cold air does make it colder), can a sock block enough wind to make my UQ and TQ insulation effective by itself? We had some 20-30 mph wind with ambient temp around 20 deg...we had gear rated to 20 deg...and really didn't want to hang our tarps. Could a sock have worked? I don't have one, so I'm trying to learn what to expect?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NM_Leo View Post
    Ok, this is the perfect thread for me and my experience from this weekend. I am new to the whole cold weather hammock camping experience, so I need some more advice from this thread. Assuming my insulation is capable for the temp (we all know that cold air does make it colder), can a sock block enough wind to make my UQ and TQ insulation effective by itself? We had some 20-30 mph wind with ambient temp around 20 deg...we had gear rated to 20 deg...and really didn't want to hang our tarps. Could a sock have worked? I don't have one, so I'm trying to learn what to expect?
    Sure you could use just your sock without the tarp and it would be warmer than without the sock in high wind.
    I usually put my tarp up just to add an additional windblock.

A tarp wind block will also prevent your sock from doing this.

Last edited by OutandBack; 11-24-2014 at 11:59.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I've found most quilts are in categories of 40, 20, 0 degrees. If you have 20 degree gear and you are in 20 degree weather - with added wind chill - you might need some help. The sock will definitely help. As OutandBack posted, the tarp will also help. If you don't want the tarp - remember, the sock is breathable, not waterproof - you might need additional clothing. A sleeping cap, warm sleeping socks, light down jacket/sweater, maybe even insulated pants would help. The BEST option is to try it out at home first - so if it is too cold you can bail out and go inside. Everyone is a little different and especially when you get close to the temperature rating of your gear, it is nice to test before you go. So my advice is bring extra sleeping clothing just in case. One highly recommended item is a Balaclava. I've found in real cold, a hat/cap isn't enough. The balaclava gives better coverage. Remember to take it off before you go shopping.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    JRB GL3 + REI bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    great advice...thank you. I saw the sock as a "wind breaker" and the tarp as another...basically creating a wind break. For those wonderful NM windy days, I didn't know if I'd need the tarp...or if the sock could cut it. I may need to grin and bare it...and hang the tarp. I don't have a sock, so testing its effectiveness is a challenge. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    NM_Leo, if you have a gathered end hammock and use something like a WB Traveler sock, with or without 2ZQZ extensions, you can put its the opening on either side of the hammock - assuming the hammock does not have a foot end. If it does, like the WB Blackbird with its foot shelf, you will have to put the opening on the correct side and that influences how you will hang it. Like if you are near a cliff, you probably want the sock opening on the "land" side and that determines which way you will be facing - the head end - of the hammock. I'm yammering on about this because ... well, you know, I found all this seemingly obvious stuff out the hard way.

If you are using a bridge hammock, like the WB Ridge Runner, it is well worth it to pay for the extra door (zipper entry) option. Unlike the BlackBird, even though there is a end and foot end on the ridge runner, because the bug net has a full length three sides zipper, you can get in the hammock on either side. And with the bridge, your view is not obstructed by hammock walls. So it would be a shame to block it with a sock. And as mentioned before, you don't want to be limited to facing a particular direction just because the sock opening is on one side.

Unlike the socks for gathered end hammocks, which can be put on/off quickly/easily, the sock for the WB RR requires a bit of disassembly of the suspension lines. You need disconnect the lines from the hammock to the apex connector, slide them thru grommets in the sock and reconnect them to the apex connector. It's not as much work as unloading a truck, but not something you want to do often. So having two openings on the sock helps there too. Because if yo have them both open, it is almost like not having it at all so it extends the useful season. In fact, in that mode, your tarp can still do it's job (remember, the sock is not waterproof) and the sock still gives you wind protection from the ends of the tarp. I also had Brandon put some loops on the inside ends of the RR sock so I could still suspend the bug net. That way, I can keep both doors open and still have bug protection. Works great.

You might also be able to have two openings put in the gathered end sock, but it is much easier to reverse without needed the extra (weight) zipper hardware.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123