Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    You can vent the UQ very easily. For that reason, most would recommend a 20° quilt set for year round. You can vent when it's warm, and supplement with a liner and/or clothing when it's colder.

I faced the same decision when purchasing my quilt set (what temp rating for most versatility). I went with a 20° Burrow/Incubator. The lowest I've had them so far is 38°, and I didn't know it was that cold until I got out of the hammock and checked the weather.

I still have a thermarest ridgerest pad, but I don't know when I'll use it again. Probably just for spare gear when someone else wants to come along, and my spare quilt is already in use.

There is a very special feeling of satisfaction that comes with being so warm and comfortable in your hammock, when it's cold outside of it.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Only downside with pads for me is the bulk. Come winter, they are my insulation of choice. I do not have condensation issues, but I use the pads in the negative twenties. I can't beat ccf at those temps.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Not sure if everybody saw that you're using a bridge hammock. Pads in gathered end hammocks mostly suck; but with bridge hammocks it's a different thing. Especially since you have a double layer. I have the RR and a lynx, and although I'm not built like a tank, I have had shoulder pain. I was told by Brandon, that a self inflating pad between the layers helps with that. I haven't had the chance to use my RR extensively with a pad, but I'd say, there are some big pros for using a pad in your case.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Ahhh... Pad vs UQ, for me in a gathered end hammock the UQ is certainly my insulation of choice. I used a pad on several occasions during my early days with little success. It affected the comfort of the hammock and didn't provide the coverage I get from a UQ. Now in a WBRR the pad stays put and has a different effect on the comfort, making for a firmer sleeping platform, some like this and some don't. It is nice to have a dual function piece of bottom insulation but on of the benefits of the WBRR is the smaller and lighter UQ that it requires offsetting the weight of the hammock over gathered end hammocks.

Our 20*F AMBUSH UQ with HD850GGD, specifically designed for the WBRR, is just over 17oz, that's a full 10oz lighter than a 20*F ZEPPELIN UQ with HD850GGD. Why??? Much smaller quilt volume, much less fabric, no draft collars needed, and no major suspension required. This zeros out the weight of the stock poles for the WBRR. We also offer a 0*F version and both are available in HD700GDD or HD850GGD, both a fully vent-able to control warmth and extend upper limit use.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I've never used an underquilt, but I find that I'm more comfortable overnight in my 10 foot gathered end hammock with a 25 inch wide ccf pad than without it. I like the extra firmness and I seem to get a flatter lay than when I just hang in the hammock with nothing underneath me.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Well guys I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a WB Full Length Lynx UQ! I chose the 20 degree version because it rarely gets into the single digits here.

Should be plenty comfortable in my WBRR now! Should feel like I'm in bed and fully enclosed in down goodness!

Thanks for all of the help and giving me that extra push to close the deal haha

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    Nice! Post back with your impressions after your first use.
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Tarp
    Insulation
    Lynx Winter Full
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Fantastic! I have had the Full Length Winter Lynx for a couple years and it is my favorite single piece of gear. I have used it a few times at 0 deg and it is so toasty and comfortable. I'm sure you will be very happy with your choice!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Good for you. And you can still use the pad between the layers when it gets colder than the UQ rating.

First test the UQ to see if you need more insulation to feel warm, then, if needed, add the pad you have anyways. It's a win/win.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Not sure if everybody saw that you're using a bridge hammock. Pads in gathered end hammocks mostly suck; but with bridge hammocks it's a different thing. Especially since you have a double layer. I have the RR and a lynx, and although I'm not built like a tank, I have had shoulder pain. I was told by Brandon, that a self inflating pad between the layers helps with that. I haven't had the chance to use my RR extensively with a pad, but I'd say, there are some big pros for using a pad in your case.
    I get that same shoulder pain sometimes in my RR. I've never tried a pad with my RR, but often wonder if I would like it better than my Lynx. I think I am too afraid I'd like the $5 pad better and not the $240 underquilt so I refuse to find out.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast