Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I'll show you a couple of mods to the Owyhee you may like.
    Anything I need to bring to get 'er done? Shock cord, hooks, triangle thingys...bourbon?
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    hk 11' hyperD - The Silver Bullet
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbidge & old bag
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Bourbon certainly helps when it is really cold...

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Anything I need to bring to get 'er done? Shock cord, hooks, triangle thingys...bourbon?
    You may or may not like them...unless someone brings a sewing machine, it's stuff you will need to do at home.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by RedStix View Post
    Bourbon certainly helps when it is really cold...
    Yes, indeedy, and cold is optional.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    We had a little cold snap last night in the Hill Country so, of course, I slept outside with my new quilts! I intentionally left off the tarp to see how the quilts (and myself) would handle the dew. The temperature when I hit the hammock was about 37° and bottomed out at just below freezing; we had a slight hoarfrost this morning when I awoke to milk and feed.

The quilts handled the heavy dew fine even though the hammock body absorbed some; but I already knew this from past experience. The top quilt beaded the water somewhat and allowed a little to get on my face. This doesn't bother me as I usually would be wearing a balaclava or shemagh. Everything needed only a few minutes in the morning sun to completely dry.

The comfort was great, nice and warm even if a little damp in places on the hammock. The system worked great and was not only survivable but completely comfortable in these semi-wet conditions. I would say there was enough water to compromise an inferior system; maybe not to the point of non-survival, but definitely to the point of being uncomfortable. The top quilt had the most water on it (as expected) and this would have been the first point of failure in an inferior system.

As I will likely encounter these conditions often (far more often than the lowest temperature rating of these quilts) I am happy how the AHE quilts performed.

My only sleeping attire was a tee shirt and shorts, I didn't even wear socks!

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    We had a little cold snap last night in the Hill Country so, of course, I slept outside with my new quilts! I intentionally left off the tarp to see how the quilts (and myself) would handle the dew. The temperature when I hit the hammock was about 37° and bottomed out at just below freezing; we had a slight hoarfrost this morning when I awoke to milk and feed.

The quilts handled the heavy dew fine even though the hammock body absorbed some; but I already knew this from past experience. The top quilt beaded the water somewhat and allowed a little to get on my face. This doesn't bother me as I usually would be wearing a balaclava or shemagh. Everything needed only a few minutes in the morning sun to completely dry.

The comfort was great, nice and warm even if a little damp in places on the hammock. The system worked great and was not only survivable but completely comfortable in these semi-wet conditions. I would say there was enough water to compromise an inferior system; maybe not to the point of non-survival, but definitely to the point of being uncomfortable. The top quilt had the most water on it (as expected) and this would have been the first point of failure in an inferior system.

As I will likely encounter these conditions often (far more often than the lowest temperature rating of these quilts) I am happy how the AHE quilts performed.

My only sleeping attire was a tee shirt and shorts, I didn't even wear socks!

nice write up rat I am waiting on mine new river 4 s, did you have to add anything too the sides of the u.q. I just read some where that the person suggested it might help with the sides ?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Quote Originally Posted by paulw View Post
    nice write up rat I am waiting on mine new river 4 s, did you have to add anything too the sides of the u.q. I just read some where that the person suggested it might help with the sides ?
    I have a New River and don't have anything special to hold it in place. I just hang it under the hammock and it works. Have never had any issues with fit or gaps. My wife has an UGQ, and same thing. Took it out of the box, hung it under the hammock, tightened it up a little and it works great. I personally think people on this forum just like playing with things and make too big a deal out of adjustments. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Hammock
    LSOH,WARRIOR EDGE
    Tarp
    dd xl
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster Down
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobwhite215 View Post
    I have a New River and don't have anything special to hold it in place. I just hang it under the hammock and it works. Have never had any issues with fit or gaps. My wife has an UGQ, and same thing. Took it out of the box, hung it under the hammock, tightened it up a little and it works great. I personally think people on this forum just like playing with things and make too big a deal out of adjustments. If it aint broke, dont fix it.
    tks bob ,iam just a newbie doing too much research,and trying to fix a problem where there isn't one ( I haven't even got the thing yet ) sometimes there is such a thing as too much info .I guess I am just excited and want to do everything right the first time ,,but sometimes tinkering is fun

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I had to add a couple of shock cords to the under quilt to get rid of air gaps. Really noticeable below freezing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12