Dangerbird by Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Cinch, Dutch Clips

Tarp Choices - 3 season

So I'm looking to purchase my 1st tarp for my 1st hammock (10ft) in the next week or so. Still living on the ground at the moment. Probably looking for a decent, lightweight 3 season tarp but don't want to spend a fortune on one. After doing quite a bit of research, I've narrowed my choices down to a few and was just curious if anyone has any input on any of these:

Wilderness Logics - Tadpole $90 - lots of good comments about this one and it's not too expensive.

Hennessy - Hyperlite Rainfly 20D Silnylon or Explorer Ultralite Rainfly 30D Silnylon - Both are $89.95

UGQ - Hanger 10 - $124.95 - Kinda pricey

Warbonnet - Edge - $85

OES - Standard - $95 - lots of good reviews but it seems (at least from reading the forums) that this guy is hit or miss on customer service and general consistency.

Any input or other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!
    Occasional Participant in Reality

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I love my tadpole so much I choose it over my cuben. Excellent tarp!

the edge would also be a great choice.

I agree OES has good reviews but unstable service

UGQ also seems like an excellent company but their tarps are overpriced for the market.

HH I don't know much about but I think the coverage is not as good as the other listed tarps.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    The Tadpole is a winner!
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    DangerBird 72, Darien, ENO SN, HH
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin/FJ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've dealt with UGQ and Wilderness Logics. I was very pleased with both of them for their quality, communication, and customer service. I will surely deal with both of them again.

The UGQ Hanger comes with a few more extras than the Tadpole. It comes with pole mods, D rings, and some cordage for guy outs. These costs add up if you have to purchase them as extra options to another vendor's basic tarp.

The Tadpole is less expensive and you could probably receive it it in about a week rather than two or three weeks.

They are both high quality products. I would say go with the Tadpole if you are looking at cost and speed of delivery. Go with the Hanger if you want to eventually do pole mods.

I haven't dealt with Warbonnet and I received my Hennessy as a gift, so I can't comment on them.

Check out Simply Light Designs. I've got one of Jared's Trail Lair tarps that I've been using for all seasons. Did I mention that his turnaround time, quality, and communication is top notch?

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    the tadpole tarp and edge tarp are both great. I sold the edge to my friend because I prefer the 12' ridgeline. tadpole is a great tarp. the edge seemed lighter and I do love warbonnet's tarp camo. the hanger tarp I believe comes pole modified already but if you shoot them an email, they can always make a change one. UGQ is a great company too. I have heard good things about oxgear custom tarps. if you shoot him an email he will ask what it is you exactly want(size, material etc) and give you a quote.
    I have a post comparing the edge and tadpole with photos as well.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Of the manufacturers you have listed, I have OES and Warbonnet tarps. Between the two, the OES wins hands down. They seem to be the most robust of all the tarps I have. There were issues in the past, but things are rolling again. Brian started his business while still in high school. He has since gone through college and I believe moving on in life. I think it was a juggling act for a while. These are mostly cottage vendors here. No big production so there are glitches. While I don't own any of UGQ's tarps, Paul and Missy have been making some beautiful products. Tarps are like potato chips, you can't have one

Hammock
    DH T- BIRD WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    tadpole+doors JRB
    Insulation
    greyloc 3, WLogics
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Tadpole all the way! Plus you don't have to seam seal it like some other sil tarps. You can also buy a door kit for it which makes it a true 3 season tarp.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    My choice is the Edge - no question. I believe of the options you listed, it's the lightest tarp. It also doesn't need seam-sealing. You don't have any options, though, like adding length or features. For me, the Edge is perfect as it is. I don't need more length or features, and it's plenty robust. It's also one of the cheapest tarps of its class, and since I bought it together with a WB hammock, I got a $10 rebate on top... Can't beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Lad View Post
    I've dealt with UGQ and Wilderness Logics. I was very pleased with both of them for their quality, communication, and customer service. I will surely deal with both of them again.

The UGQ Hanger comes with a few more extras than the Tadpole. It comes with pole mods, D rings, and some cordage for guy outs. These costs add up if you have to purchase them as extra options to another vendor's basic tarp.

The Tadpole is less expensive and you could probably receive it it in about a week rather than two or three weeks.

They are both high quality products. I would say go with the Tadpole if you are looking at cost and speed of delivery. Go with the Hanger if you want to eventually do pole mods.

I haven't dealt with Warbonnet and I received my Hennessy as a gift, so I can't comment on them.
    There IS a pole mod for the Tadpole, and with door kit(s) makes it even better.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast