Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images

Best way to deal with the wind

I have a Dangerbird, KAQ and a Hennessy Hex tarp.

Been hanging for several years now - mostly camping in the spring/fall and have camped down into the 30's.

This weekend I was up in the mountains and for the first time dealt with some really high winds and cool temps (50's)

One night it was blowing perpendicular to my tarp so it wasn't too bad but the second night the wind shifted in the middle of the night and was blowing right through my tarp

I got up and sort of crossed up my two corners of my tarp to 'close' that end but it was still blowing through, and under - at times I could feel it hit my UQ just right and blow right through that.

I'm guessing I need a bigger tarp? I've seen some with 'doors' - is that the solution? Was also thinking I could lower my tarp so it was closer to the ground - the way I usually hang there is a foot or so of clearance between the ground and the tarp.

Jim

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I have a superfly with doors and it helps. Just got a under quilt protector from 2QZQ. I'll see how that works.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    With a Superfly, not only can you close the doors, but they can overlap to really close them tight. Hang it low and narrow and it doesn't get much better in the wind.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    There are a number of ways to combat the wind. #1 is by using the terrain and vegetation to block the wind for you. That might mean changing your set up from one night to the next to battle the angles that the wind it coming in at. Looking for dense clusters of trees and bushes around the trees you hang from can block a lot, as can large rocks and slopes of hill sides. #2 is your tarp and how you set it up. Angle to the wind will play a factor as will how low you pitch it to the ground. That does not necessarily mean you have to batten down the whole tarp tight....Just getting the windward side down low and tight will help. If there is anything you can use on that side to block any gaps use it. If I am car camping then I often have a tote or two. If there is no rain then your pack can block up the cat cut lower edge to help seal up that side. #3 add other gear to your set up to act as a wind block. My rain jacket has been used 3 times in 2014 to block wind coming in at my hammock....have yet to wear it as a rain jacket this year. With a little creativity you can use a jacket, pack cover, or other gear to help seal the end of your tarp and or hung right on the hammock to be a mini UQ protector. #4 hop on over to 2QzQ and get your self set up with a full on UQ protector to help block wind and hold in heat. #5 then consider a larger full blow 4 season tarp.

Get creative and look at what you have (both in nature and in your gear pile) that can help to keep you warm and comfortable.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads

Best way to deal with the wind

In addition to the above I will also add a "Grizz Beak" as an option. Check it out at 2QZQ and on YouTube.
    Last edited by 12trysomething; 10-19-2014 at 18:57.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I use the Super Fly and the UQ protector from 2QZQ. I never have issues with the wind, rain, or snow. If at all possible set with the broad side of the tarp into the wind. Pitch as low as possible, use tie outs.
    I can't say enough great things about the 2QZQ UQ protector though.. makes a huge difference.
    Hope that helps
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I'm a 4-season tarp proponent. Site selection and using the landscape features is not something I consider particularly practical because a) it assumes you can hang wherever you want, which is not always the case, and b) the wind will comply with the site selection you've made and not shift in the middle of the night.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Another option is a hammock sock. I'm partial to the MMG Dutch SEEP model.
    MMG Hammock Sock with Dutch Seep
    I don't have a sock, but if I did, it would be this one.
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I've used this simple sock for over a year now - worst was 35 mph gusting to 50 mph at 28F after a cold front passed.
    When the wind is gusty from a cold front there, is no chance of rain so I don't put a tarp up - just this sock.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1292287
    If the gusts are from t'storms you just ride it out under the tarp that is pitched low and the sock keeps the spray off.
    It has exceeded all my expectations.

UQP is a close 2nd - the UQP top is still open to catch spray but it blocks the wind. I got the 'bridge mod" for the extra $3. The tabs are handy for tying the UQP closed to block even more wind. (I recommend it)
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 12trysomething View Post
    In addition to the above I will so add a "Grizz Beak" as an option. Check it out at 2QZQ and on YouTube.
    Grizz Beak looks interesting - something I can toss in with my gear and it's there if I need it. Thanks!

Superfly looks nice too though I don't really *need* a new tarp.

Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast