Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rat View Post
    Another option is a hammock sock....
    I don't have a sock, but if I did, it would be this one.
    Yup! I do have a sock, and it's the absolute best way to keep the cold wind out & the warm air in. Definitely not something I use a lot, but there are times I've been very glad to have it!

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Superfly with a 2qzq UQP, plus the (optional) topcover for my WBBB XLC. Wind is not an issue.
    List of Splicing Guides
    Come to the Dark Side...We have cookies.

Your first line of defense is Site location. Find a spot that is on a sheltered side of the ridge, or next to some tall brush with trees that will allow you to hang perpendicular to the wind.

Next you will want to hang as low and flat to the ground as you can comfortably go. The lower and flatter you can hang your tarp the less the wind will rip through and around it and the less chance you'll have of pulling up a stake. Also tarps with doors are always really nice to have when it's windy.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    KAQ, UGQ
    pgibson mentioned this already, but what i have done onthe nights when the wind has shifted and blowing hard enough to come between my hammock and quilt is take my wind jacket or rain shell and zip it around the end of my hammock and quilt. The nights that i did that made a huge difference.

the neck of the jacket was around just the hammock and i cinched it down as far as i could and then the waist of the coat overlapped the end of the underquilt.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Weasel and I both carry military issue rain ponchos. They're 'decent' rain protection when worn...but they make awesome 'doors' for his tarp when this kind of thing happens. I have the HH Hex tarp, but had 2QZQ sew on doors, with a velcro closure on both ends. We carry a few extra plastic clips in our gear that we can use for a variety of things...one of which is attaching the ponchos to his tarp as doors if needed.

Another thought would be to carry a 3mil, 55gallon trash bag with those clips too. I always have one as my ground cloth, pack cover...whatever. Similar deal...could slit it open so that I have one big piece of plastic, and attach it as a door if we needed to.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    There are lots of options. I tend to use a WB Traveler Sock when the temps drop.
    It allows me to get by with a smaller tarp and lighter insulation.

Wind direction makes little difference, even in exposed locations.

I can have it set up with the front fully open when I go to bed and then zip it most of the way up without getting out when weather conditions require it.

Well worth the extra 9 oz when you consider the required weight of a bigger tarp and warmer insulation if I didn't have it.

It's nice not getting the cold nose when winter camping.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    brown 10'x10'
    Insulation
    between 2 bushes
    This place makes me realize just how little I know about hiking and using a hammock I learn something new every day though.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I'm a sock person too and also try to get the tarp as close to the hammock as possible and ends close to the ground. One technique I use is to bring a collapsible (for easy packing) pole. The problem with a low hung hammock is always having to duck under. With the pole (about 5 - 6 ft high) I can hang the tarp low but raise one end for normal entry/exit. When I want to batten down the hatches at night. I just take the pole out - the pole just holds up one corner of the tarp - and guy that end down too. Now that snow has fallen on the mountain, I bring a balaclava to bed and usually wear it. Having a "peak bag" on the ridge line makes a nice place to put the balaclava along with sleep socks and hat when they are not used.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Pitching the tarp close is definitely a good idea in adverse conditions, but one problem I've had is in gale force winds.
    It seems no matter how tight my lines are the tarp will beat against me all night.
    This is unless I have mid panel tie-outs, which I have on two of my tarps and always use if the forecast is for strong winds.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    There is no "best way" as all scenarios are a bit different as are the tarps, hammocks, insulation we have to work with. Many use a single method all the time and assume it is the best in all conditions. One should gain experience and knowledge to know how to mitigate any changing weather conditions with additional gear, or using what one has already understanding that all decisions have their drawbacks. I take back "there is no best way", there is a best way , it is to stay indoors, but that option may not appeal to many. However it emphasizes the point that all solutions come with a trade off hence my original "no best way". Try out different things, learn how they work and the costs (not only $) associated with the solution. Armed with experience and know-how, decisions can be made prior to the trip and then on the trip. The best part of all of it IMO is the practice means you are spending time in the woods!
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12