Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer

Which tablecloth(s) for double-layer, full-time indoors?

I'm hoping for some qualitative advice on an indoors-only gathered-end hammock for my brother. He's about 6 ft tall and 240 lb. He wants it doubled because he prefers a pad between layers instead of UQ. He won't take it hiking, so carry weight isn't an issue. I'm looking at 90x156 tablecloths to get the length he wants, so he can hang it with a 45* Brazilian-style sag. I'll trim the width to his liking, probably 72" with Knotty's stretch-sides mod.

There are 4 fabric choices among the 156" tablecloths, and I'm trying to decide which to use for each of the layers:

1. Chambury Casa *100% Cotton Tablecloth - 90x156" -- Maybe this + poly or taffeta bottom layer? Or is it better as a 1-layer summer hammock?
    http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/Pr...6_IVR&CartID=1

2. Tuscany Inspired *250gsm Tablecloth - 90x156" -- heavy-weight poly. Maybe this on top + crinkle taffeta bottom layer to reduce bulk at ends?
    http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/Pr...6_IVR&CartID=2

3. Polyester Tablecloth 90x156" -- I assume this is lighter-weight poly than the Tuscany above. Either 2 layers of this, or this on top + taffeta bottom?
    http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/Bu...90156_burg.htm

4. Crinkle Taffeta Tablecloth 90x156" -- most frequently mentioned in HF, but I've read it makes a lot of static. Is it poly or nylon? Thin for full-time use?
    http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/Cr...90156_burg.htm

I've searched the DIY forum and read most of the tablecloth posts, but I haven't found a comparison among them for strength and feel-good comfort. I seem to recall that Knotty made a single-layer heavy poly one a while ago, and maybe also a cotton one. I wonder how they're holding up? Preference?

What do you think about making the 2 layers from same vs. different tablecloths (e.g., cotton inside for feel, poly or taffeta outside for strength)? The reason would be to reduce the bulk of the double layers at the gathered ends.

What is known (or surmised from experience) about the weight-bearing strength and longevity of the various tablecloth fabrics?

Any advice, opinions, suggestions will be appreciated! Thanks!

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Which tablecloth(s) for double-layer, full-time indoors?

I sleep every night in the crinkle 90"x156". Just a fleece blanket UQ.

Been in it since March. I'm 6' 200#.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post
    2. Tuscany Inspired *250gsm Tablecloth - 90x156" -- heavy-weight poly.

That is one heavy tablecloth at over 7oz/sy

3. Polyester Tablecloth 90x156" -- I assume this is lighter-weight poly than the Tuscany above.

These are a little over 4oz/sy which is heavy. They have very little stretch and in my opinion is not a particularly comfortable fabric.

4. Crinkle Taffeta Tablecloth 90x156" -- most frequently mentioned in HF, but I've read it makes a lot of static. Is it poly or nylon?

Polyester and over 2oz/sy.
    I haven't tried the others. I do have a heavy cotton one (not bad/not great), but I don't know if it's the same as the one listed now with the fancy name.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Most people have been buying the crinkle taffeta - haven't even't heard of any of the others. I'm sleeping in a 60 x 126 DL crinkle taffeta in the house.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Thanks, Nodust, gmcttr, and SilvrSurfr! The info about tablecloth weights is very helpful. (Sorry if I didn't see it on their website.) You're right, gmcttr, that heavy poly one would be REALLY heavy in the size my brother wants, no matter what I used for the second layer. I think I'll follow so many others here and make his double-layer hammock from the crinkle taffeta. It's strong enough, cheap enough in case hammocking isn't for him, and light enough to backpack if he wants.

I may also try the heavy cotton one for myself (single layer of course), in hope that it can replace my old Brazilian. I'm very sensitive to static, so poly and I don't play well together unless I line it with cotton. My bro doesn't seem to notice the static.

I tried to convince my brother that he'll be happier with a UQ but he's stuck on using his ground pad between layers. I bet he'll change his mind if I set him up with a fleece UQ when he comes to visit. With a double layer he can do either.

I think it will be fun to make it when he comes, so he can see how easy it is to diy his own gear. He's used my TI a few times, or I can do the sewing. He'll get a kick out of splicing Amsteel! And we'll make him a pipe stand so he won't tear up the walls when he goes home. This will be a fun, easy, and inexpensive (except the stand) birthday gift and project to do together, and with any luck he'll be hooked for life! (Nyah-ha-ha! The first one's free!)

Thanks again for your helpful advice! Ill be placing my order today.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop w/ Knotty Mod
    Tarp
    DIY & WL Tadpole
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've made a few crinkle taffeta hammocks, one of which was kept outdoors. It was outside for maybe a month and a half and didn't fair too well apparently because one day I was laying in it and it tore right down the center and I crashed on to the hammock stand base. I'm 150lbs. If it's kept inside though you should be good.

Give a double layer taffeta a shot, I think he'll be happy.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by WhollyHamaca View Post

I may also try the heavy cotton one for myself (single layer of course), in hope that it can replace my old Brazilian. I'm very sensitive to static, so poly and I don't play well together unless I line it with cotton. My bro doesn't seem to notice the static.
    My crinkle taffeta had plenty of static the first week or so. Now after 8 months never any static. Not sure why maybe it smoothed out or discharged every thing.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Hey, thesergeant, I'm sorry you crashed -- ouch! I hope you're OK. Those stand beams can be treacherous. Your hammock may have been damaged by being out in the sun too long, but also I've read about some of the crinkle taffeta t'cloths ripping due to flaws in the fabric. I'll be inspecting mine carefully when they arrive. Maybe we should have a warning about that. After all, they're sold as tablecloths, regardless of how we use them! I'll take your advice and make my brother's a double layer for sure. I don't think I trust a single layer for his weight.

Nodust, that's good news about the static going away. I went ahead and ordered a cotton one and a crinkle one for myself, along with the 2 crinkles for my brother. I'll see how the dense cotton works out; otherwise it's good fabric for something else, like ummm, a tablecloth? And while the crinkle taff is still making static I'll just turn off the lights and enjoy the show. I hope the sparks will subside quickly, or my cat will not be amused when she joins me in the hammock. Maybe best not to put it in the dryer (neither hammock nor cat) to keep the static down.

• + New Posts