Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock spreader

Greetings,

I really like the light-weight quality and the straps of my Speer hammock. It's great for sleeping.

But I find the shape a bit confining for kicking back and enjoying nature, reading or writing in my journal.

Does anyone have a good idea for a hammock spreader for this hammock that will not damage the fabric?

Thanks.

JJ
    JJ Murphy
    www.TheJoyfulForager.com

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Try a wider version of hammock. My double wide, 50" wide is much more spacious and less confining. Single wide speer styles are great for the weight weenies, but you lose a little in comfort. The wider and longer your hammock, the less shoulder squeeze you have.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I can't use a Speer because I can't get out of it. But I am wondering if you approaching the problem correctly. When most people I know "kick back and relax" in the hammock as a chair they sit on one side of the hammock.. For example, if you put the two edges together and sit on the fold at the bottom of the hammock.. essentially on the outside of the hammock the you can sit with your legs dangled and lean back against the fabric wall behind you. It is possible in some models (I don't know about the Speer) to use that configuration as a lounger. It is quite comfortable. That's the process with the Hennessy. I would think it would work with a Speer.

This is a bridge hammock but a similar use as a char.

I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Thanks very much for this photo. The Speer hammock is gathered at the ends, not open like yours, but maybe I can tinker with it next time I'm out.
    JJ Murphy
    www.TheJoyfulForager.com

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    First.. it ain;t my picture. Secondly the ends are immaterial to the positioning. The HH is slightly different because of the attached bug net. There is a vid on the HH website showing how to use the hammock as a chair.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JJMurphy View Post
    Greetings,

I really like the light-weight quality and the straps of my Speer hammock. It's great for sleeping.

But I find the shape a bit confining for kicking back and enjoying nature, reading or writing in my journal.

Does anyone have a good idea for a hammock spreader for this hammock that will not damage the fabric?

Thanks.

JJ
    It has never been done that I know of, so far. It seems to me that I managed to sit up in my Speer kind of "Indian" style, and got comfortable for reading. Other than that, I just have to hang it so that my feet just barely touch the ground when using as a chair.

Have you tried it like the guy in the pic on the right, next to the 1st pic of Speer laying in the red hammock?
    http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Hammock.htm

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    JJ... I've found myself wishing that the speer hammocks were not made so wide because of the cocoon effect, so I made my own & made it only about 48" wide.
    I like that much better.
    But one thing to try w/ the hammock you have is to hang it higher, but looser, giving it more "sag". That should help both sitting & laying down.
    Just remember to lay on the "diagonal".

Something I have been using on my Speer type/top entry hammocks for a couple years now, is the spreader bar in the picture.

I love the open effect it gives & I've had no problems w/ it. I've been using one of two hammocks made that way nightly form the time those pictures were posted.
    To see more pictures, click on my gallery & go to pages 10 & 11.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Images
    Well, I take it back, I guess it has been done. I forgot about that, Slowhike.

Slowhike, thanks very much for the spreader bar picture. Now, where did you get that spreader bar from? If you made it, what materials did you use to make it?

Thanks very much for your help.

JJ
    JJ Murphy
    www.TheJoyfulForager.com

Slowhike, the photos in your gallery are amazing - and very instructive. Thanks for all your hard work, saving me years of trial and error. I appreciate it.

JJ
    JJ Murphy
    www.TheJoyfulForager.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast