Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

UQ variations?

I understand there was an "old" and a "new" suspension. My 40° uses the old, and my 20° uses the new.

But I'm wondering if there are other differences, possibly unintentional during production. I say this because my 20° Incubator fits VERY tight and the only way to loosen it would be to add an additional piece of shock cord. Yet other people talk a lot about "triangle thingies", clips, hooks and all kinds of ways to "hold it in place".

On my 20, it literally holds the hammock up at least 12" and I literally have to pick up the hammock and put it into the UQ. Doesn't look right until I get in. It's also basically a "taco", wrapping me up completely side to side. If I look to the left, I can actually see the UQ higher than my line of sight. So slipping off my shoulder would be impossible. With my 40, slippage is possible but fixable.

So are all these fitting questions/problems from people still using the old suspension? Or did I just get one with some oddball design that seems to work without any fiddling?

By the way, I NEVER want to loosen my UQ. It works perfect every time, I never get cold and it's simply set and forget. So this isn't a thread about mine not being able to be adjusted.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20, KAQ 1, Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing / buckles
    Images
    My incubator has the new suspension and is the same way. I thought I was just lucky and everything fit perfect out of the box. I did monkey with the small shock cord that cinches up the ends a little on my last trip because it was probably too warm for a 20 UQ. I wanted to let just a little fresh air through and not get sweaty. I didn't use a TQ at all on that trip because as you said the UQ wrapped around me and I was very comfy with just that.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    OK, definitely a good update then. Like I said, my 40° is OK, but not great. That's OK though since I use that on warmer nights where an improper fit is much more forgiving.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20º quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I have the new Incubator 20º that I bought back in August and am still working through some set up issues. I've emailed with the very helpful folk at HG, but I think I mostly need more nights out in the hammock to get the suspension dialed in. ;-)

I believe my UQ also worked well right out of the box as long as I don't lay on my side! It seems that laying on my side or otherwise putting lateral stress somehow causes the UQ to gap. I've tightened up the suspension and have since learned to check it each time I rig it because the flattish cord locks can and do slip occasionally.

I just had it out last week with the low temp down to the mid-30's and was mostly ok, but I did find I needed to "snug up the sides" every time I got in. (I have that old guy condition that requires me to get up several times in the night.) Rather than futz around with it, I've got some shock cord on order to run between the triangle rings on the sides of the UQ up and over the ridgeline. I've also ordered a couple of mitten hooks to make these added lateral shock cords easy to remove and stow. It's probably overkill, but I often take a "belt and suspenders" approach when the weight added is so minimal.

• + New Posts