Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ozziepom View Post
    I'm hearing what you say. Perhaps I should just trust the experiences of yourself and others, rather than trying to work out the 'whys and wherefores' of the process.
    What was that Russian proverb -- "Trust, but verify"?

As for your suggested experiment, I think I'll give that one a miss - I would expect the same result as you've suggested. It wasn't really capillary action that I was concerned about. I was thinking rather that certainly 1, if not both, of the paths that I mentioned in earlier posts were downhill all the way.
    Guess I wasn't seeing the picture quite right, then. If you ever get a chance to post pics, it might help us imaginationally challenged.

I suppose I should just give the SLS a go, but make sure that I do it at home, rather than out in the bush.
    Great idea! Can you make a simple test hammock with the new suspension?

Cheers for your responses.
    And cheers for your persistence. We each have to find our own comfort zone. (HYOH!)
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've read some of your previous posts about 'SLSs' (what's an MSLS?),
    My second vrsion of the SLS

SLS - Single Line Suspension System - a single line from tree to tree

MSLS - Modular Suspension Line System - This replaces the SLS single line from tree to tree with 3 lines: Whoopie Slings (or UCRs) on each end and a separate ridge line in the middle. The Whoopie Slings (or UCRs) on each end have fixed eyes on one end in which a stainless steel toggle is inserted. The fixed eye and toggle replace the marlin spikes and toggles of the SLS. The ridge line is then another Whoopie Sling which is looped over the toggles in the fixed eye of the end Whoopie slings forming a continuous line from tree to tree. Just like with the SLS, the hammock is hung from the toggles. With the SLS the ridge line length was adjusted by re-positioning the marlin spikes with toggles. In the MSLS, the Whoopie Sling used for the ridge line gives the ridge line it's adjust-ability. With the MSLS, I was able to replace the heavier (and overkill ) ridge line rope of the middle with much lighter Lash-It guy line cord (0.019 oz/ft for the guy line cord vs 0.082 oz/ft for the 1/8" dyneema). Being able to use the guy line cord for the ridge line in the MSLS compensated somewhat for the fact that I needed double the rope for the Whoopie Slings on the ends.

and it's great that you're reporting that they appear waterproof in practice, but I can't get my head around the fact that, in theory at least, there is still a pathway for the water to track along the line and then either down into the hammock, or along the integral ridgeline and then drip into the hammock. Even the marlinspike toggle method would leave contact between the SLS line and the line that the hammock is hanging from wouldn't it?
    Gravity is your real friend in this. Gravity forces the water to take the shortest/quickest/straightest route to the ground. When water is running down the suspension from the tree and encounters an obstruction such as a drip string, a toggle, a ring, etc. anything that provides a more direct route straight down, gravity forces the water to take that route. (It can be somewhat more complicated in that surface tension may keep some of the water on it's original path, but polyester or dyneema, which I think is another chemical form of polyester, are both hydrophobic (they do not attract water, they repel water) and thus the surface tension is not enough when either is used to keep the water on it's original path.)

That is why drip strings work, they provide another path for gravity to force the water to take the straightest path to the ground.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm just going to trust your experiences in this.

Frawg: I won't be able to post pictures, I don't have the equipment.

Hammock
    DIY (various)
    Tarp
    DIY 5x10 pseudocat
    Insulation
    GI+
    Suspension
    UCR custom
    Images
    Thanks for all the info guys. I'm just going to trust your experiences in this.

Frawg: I won't be able to post pictures, I don't have the equipment.
    No worries on the pics, ozziepom. Keep us posted on how things work out for you.
    - Frawg

{generic tagline}