Thread: Dew

Dew

Im about to embark on my first trip without a tent and only a hammock. Being completely new to this, Im wondering how much of a problem is morning dew and condensation in hammocks relative to tents? And what else is necessary other than just the hammock, aka a underquilt, etc. Thanks for the advice.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I nearly always hang under a tarp - takes care of dew, leaves, pollen, and the random rain shower although in Texas we don't remember what those are like.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    If you are sure it's not going to rain at all, you will be protected from much of the dew by simply being under the trees. I usually carry a bit of dew with me.. Mountain Dew that is.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I don't think I've ever thought about "dew". Probably because I live where it's so humid that the air feels heavy sometimes. If the tarp is wet, I use a bandana to dry it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I've had condensation on the tarp once - the weather was turning, the air was moist, and we were in a valley uphill of a large river surrounded by meadowlands. I hung the tarp low and used pads (vapor barrier) in the hammock. I think it would have been drier in the hammock had I used an underquilt.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Just last night I went to get into the hammock and discovered the tarp was covered in dew...top and bottom. The hammock, bug netting and sleeping bag were all dry. Was about 3am.

If I shifted my weight heavily some drops would fall, but not enough to matter. I hear heavy dew can be a problem for under quilts on occasion.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Zparks Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    marlin/whoopie
    Dew is very frequently an issue where I go hiking. If it's humid during the day then you can be pretty sure that some of that humidity will fall as dew during the wee hours of the morning. I carry along a camp towel to dry my tarp in the morning.

However compared with tents you have much less of a problem. With a tent you have dew outside AND condensation on the inside.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Unless you are in one of those situations were your mountain is enveloped in a slowly drifting cloud of moister, & are using a tarp, there is not usually any noticeable moister problem in your sleep system (hammock, under quilt, top quilt).
    If there is any noticeable moisture in your stuff, you use the same type techniques used to dry a damp sleeping bag, etc in the field.

Rarely a problem if set up correctly, but a tarp wet from condensation isn't uncommon.
    Sometimes just the outside of the tarp, sometimes the inside too.
    If the tarp is wet when it's time to pack, just take down & bag you hammock first, then, with nothing exposed under the tarp, take loose the corners, & w/ the ridge line still tight, give it a good shaking. that will remove most of the water.
    If you want to dry it further, just use a bandanna like Tina Louise suggested.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts