Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images

Blue Lake, Delta NF, MS

Attachment 95330
    There was free time to be had last Saturday, so we went to check out this little hidden gem. After approaching down FR 715, the access road turns off without being listed on the map. Upon arrival, you immediately notice 5 campsites, some with grills and fire rings. There is a recreation area with several tables for group activities.
    Attachment 95331
    Attachment 95329
    The use of this area is free, and although the loop is only a mile, it is a very diverse trail of cypress and saw palmetto. It made for a flat, easy hike, only having one recent blowdown that had to be circumnavigated. All along the lake/ bayou side of the trail are duck boxes, as well as a few interpretive signs about local flora and fauna. If this isn't enough hiking for you, there is a closed forest road leading North from the area. I didn't have the opportunity to traverse it at all, so it shall be left to surprise.
    Attachment 95333Attachment 95334Attachment 95335
    As shown in one of the pics, there are several signs identifying trees and fauna along the trail. Most of it is concrete rip rap, with short sections covered over by leaves. Going clockwise, there is a boardwalk about 3/4 mile through. Looking to your left, a bat box has been erected, giving these unsung heroes of the night a place to "hang out" during the day.
    Attachment 95336
    Overall, this was a quaint yet enjoyable trail for the family to enjoy on a lazy afternoon. This is definitely recommended as a fall-spring area, as i imagine mosquitoes are ferocious through the summer. It is also right along the Mississippi flyway, so many migrating on the wing will be traveling and making pit stops throughout the shoulder seasons. Of course, this is a first come, first serve area, but only one site was in use while we were
    there. It is surely popular among hunters, though there are numerous dispersed sites located here as well as along the gravel forest roads throughout Delta National Forest. One last trail pic...
    Attachment 95332
    Hope you enjoyed!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Eno Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    For some reason images would not display inline. I have gone back and attached them, leaving the inline numbers to id what went where. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like a great area for a hang. Any fish in Blue Lake?
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Eno Double Deluxe
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    incubator 20
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I don't know, didn't bring the poles as we had just come from the county fair. There is a boat ramp, so I'd think there were. Not sure about bringing any large vessel though, at least not without some good reason. It looked to be about 18" below high water mark when I was there, which cut the surface area of said body of water down a goodly amount.
    "Do, or do not, there is no try."-Yoda

• + New Posts