Thread: Bridge tilting

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Bridge tilting

Hi all. I have made a DIY bridge. Fairly simple but I have one problem. When lying inside it tilts to the right. In order to lie in the center I have to overcompensate and lie so it's almost tilted left. Any ideas? Could it be that my suspension triangles are not identical lengths? If they are off it's not my much. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I think I saw that Grizz made his suspension out of one piece of cord?
    If you had a 30" leg, then use a 60" cord and clip to it- that would make it self centering more or less.
    A tape measure would tell you though if you messed one of the legs up. It's also possible it grew a little on you after you put weight on it.

FWIW- my dogbones were all close- but I made the four at once then checked them against each other and was able to sort out two matching sets. Two came out dead on, two came out an 1/8" or so shorter.

Idea two-
    You screwed up.
    Check the lengths from pole to pole with a string or soft tape to see if each channel is identical.
    Did you catch any extra fabric as you rolled the channel, or sew the channel off your line?

If the suspension is equal, more than likely the body is not symmetrical in some way.

Again- my very limited experience-
    I made a quarter pattern (I think Grizz showed that in his paper folding exercises in one of his videos). Doing that I folded the fabric and made one cut like he does- that way even if something is a bit off somewhere it is still perfectly symmetrical.

I went with a 1/2" webbing roll too after a few tries with the channel. I did the channel, but saw little weight savings and didn't like the feel as much. As a bonus, construction is much more foolproof and easier all around. The webbing helps keep the curve smooth, especially if you cheat and use a hemming foot- I couldn't seem to sew a curved channel straight to save my life, especially adding in the extra layers to beef it up.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I would think it is the triangles or possible the body length from one side to another. How easy is it to swap your triangles from one side to the other. I would start there.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I would suspect, as you suggest, that the two sides of the triangles are uneven lengths. When I shortened the triangles on my Ridgerunner I got a difference in length of about 1/2" at the foot end. It made the hammock hang tilted as you experienced. By matching the lengths everything evened out again. Also, the shorter the "V", the more a difference in length would effect the 'tilt'.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I would think it is the triangles or possible the body length/body suspension webbing from one side to another. How easy is it to swap your triangles from one side to the other. I would start there.
    Either one of these should cause it and both are easy to mismatch.

Hammock
    Attempting a DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DiY Cat Cut
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I would say there is 100% chance I screwed up a measurement somewhere. My triangles are dogbones so I can easily take them off and measure them. I didn't think 1/8 inch difference or so would make that much if a difference so I will start there. If it's a mess up in the body then that means I just get to order some of Dutchs fabric to try again. Actually I think I am going to do that anyway. The 1.1 oz I used has too much stretch for me. Hard to believe that such a small difference in the side if a suspension triangle would be so noticeable. Thanks all for your help.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by stalker42 View Post
    ...If it's a mess up in the body then that means I just get to order some of Dutchs fabric to try again...
    The webbing suspending the body and or the body tend to grow/shrink as you sew the two together and it's easy to get them uneven. After sewing the body to the webbing, I'm careful to equalize the overall webbing length when I sew the loops (or however you are doing it) on the ends. If this is the problem you may be able to rip the stitching on one loop and re-sew it to match the other side's length.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Diy TQ
    Suspension
    MSH/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The webbing suspending the body and or the body tend to grow/shrink as you sew the two together and it's easy to get them uneven. After sewing the body to the webbing, I'm careful to equalize the overall webbing length when I sew the loops (or however you are doing it) on the ends. If this is the problem you may be able to rip the stitching on one loop and re-sew it to match the other side's length.
    This! My diy bridge has just a slight lean to it and I am 99% sure it's from what gmcttr described above.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    The webbing suspending the body and or the body tend to grow/shrink as you sew the two together and it's easy to get them uneven.
    I've had this very thing happen, resulting in about 3/4 inch difference in the two sides of the hammock.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rat View Post
    I've had this very thing happen, resulting in about 3/4 inch difference in the two sides of the hammock.
    Yup! I think this happens to everyone that has made a bridge hammock. It can easily be fixed by adjusting the lengths of the suspension triangle till balanced. Next time you make a bridge pin the entire length of the hammock and webbing and this will not happen. Good luck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast