Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing

Thumbs up FINISHED my two person tree camping portaledge--> comfort of a hammock, roomy as a tent!

This project has been a LONG time in the making. I spent two solid months researching everything I needed to know before I even began ordering materials. The portaledge took me a week to sew and the rainfly was finished after a brutal two day onslaught in front of my sewing machine. The final weight is HEAVY but it is still much lighter than a Tensile Tent so I am happy . I only uploaded my favorite 10 pictures from my blog because I was much too lazy to upload all of them to the forums. If you want to see a video of her maiden voyage up high into the tree canopy go check out the story in the "Trip Reports" section of Hammock Forums. Here is the link:

VIDEO: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...71#post1344571

Thank you so much to everyone who gave me their input! I received knowledge from professional engineers and veteran gear sewers. This is what your shared knowledge helped me accomplish:

Pic 1: cutting the spreader bars (1.125" aluminum & 1" 4130 chromoly)

Pic 2: measuring out the hammock material

Pic 3: after a WHOLE LOT of measuring and sewing the bedding is taking shape

Pic 4: detailed picture of all the sewing. The blue yarn is for place holding and seam tape. The orange yarn is used on all weight bearing seams.

Pic 5: the fin is used to pull up the middle of the bedding so that the two users don't slide into each other. It is angled to give a lot of shoulder room and minimal foot room which makes very efficient use of the sleeping area. It can be lowered when snuggling is needed.

Pic 6: TESTING IT WITH MY WIFE! WOOT! She loved it! Finally I am able to bring her hammocking and more importantly TREE CAMPING with me!!! Honestly, the comfort level is unsurpassed IMO . It allows me to spread out as if laying in a tent while retaining the wonderful feeling of a hammock that conforms to my body. WIN!

Pic 7: sewing and cutting the tarp. I need a bigger house, I had to measure and cut each side separately and still almost ran out of room

Pic 8: the tarp takes shape after sewing the main seam and the tension cord around the base

Pic 9: I added two HUGE windows on each side (covered by mosquito netting) for great airflow and for taking in the views while hanging high in the sky

Pic 10: picture from the portaledge's first tree camping voyage with my good climbing parter Jake

If you want to watch the video of our backpacking and tree camping adventure go check out the trip report at this link: Watch our weekend climbing adventure!

Let me know what you think! Again, you guys helped me out so much with this project and I appreciate it! If I wasn't already a donating member I would have to become a donating member just to say thanks to this community! WOOT!
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Another great project. Enjoyed the video.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Very nice! Looking forward to reports of you using it!
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Very nice DIY project.
    Is it hang time yet?

Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Very nice! Looking forward to reports of you using it!
    Assuming the weather stays above freezing next week I will be taking the wife on her first tree camping adventure to do a review with me. She is super critical about comfort so I am excited to see and share her review.
    v
    v

^
    ^

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I remember when you were having stitching problems. Now look at 'ya.

You're killing me with the RAD climbing system though. Get a rope walker setup and climb with ease.

Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    You're killing me with the RAD climbing system though. Get a rope walker setup and climb with ease.
    gmcttr I know! haha. Trust me, when I climb I am a lot smoother, faster, and more efficient. That was Jake's first time using a RAD system. He gave me permission to use the footage because I never get the chance to film the climbing portions when I am alone. But I decided to remove it since I don't want to give beginners the wrong impression of how using a RADS is accomplished. Thanks for your honest input gmcttr! Oh and, if I had the cash for a rope walker I would already have one!
    Last edited by Refreshing; 10-24-2014 at 10:40. Reason: deleted a portion of the video
    v
    v

^
    ^

• + New Posts