Tarp
    Superfly & Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies

Continuous ridgeline using Zing it

Hey guys,

I've grown quite fond of using an over the tarp continuous ridgeline using prussiks and toggles for my Superfly, and I've been using 550 cord for the ridgeline. This works great, however it definitely stretches, and if I don't over tighten when setting up, I notice some sag in the tarp once morning comes. Not a big deal, and not usually much of an issue, however I worry about getting caught out in serious weather and having to continually retighten the ridgeline when using paracord.

Heres a picture for reference of what I am talking about:
    IMG_2144.jpg

I have limited experience with using Zing it for tie outs and whatnot, but not for anything structural. The experience I have suggests that tying knots in Zing it is great, however untying knots in Zing it isn't so great. Granted, I would be using prussik loops and toggles, however I usually tie a taught line hitch around the tree for the main ridgeline itself as I don't like relying on hardware which can become lost or broken (seriously....those tarp flies are amazingly light...).

Anyway, I guess my question is, are there any guys out there who use Zing it for their continuous ridgeline setups using knots, and what diameter would you recommend? My experience with the 1.75mm suggests that while it is plenty strong, it is kind of a pain to untie knots which have a good amount of tension applied to them.

Thoughts?
    "Cogito; ergo sum."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I've never had a problem untying any half hitches. Just a good yank get things undone. I typically use some Dutchware for attaching my tarp RL to the trees but have in the past used a siberian hitch which comes undone easy enough. I have continuous loops attached with prusiks to all my tarp tie outs. Just be sure to add an extra wrap or two on new Zing-it if you plan to use prusiks. As Zing-it gets used more, prusiks hold with fewer wraps.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    This doesn't specifically answer your question. It more challenges the assumption that broken or lost hardware represents a risk, or a true dependency.

Combining splicing with hardware effectively removes the danger of losing the hardware. A Dutch hook on a locked brummel isn't likely to get lost (or break unless it is abused). If it does, you've still got the locked brummel to cinch around a makeshift toggle or whatnot. Ditto with flyz, fleaz or stingerz on the other end. Why tie a potentially fussy knot every time when you can splice once? Also, splicing Zing-it is fun.

You can always tie knots in the same ridgeline as a plan B if anything goes wrong with your hardware or splices.
    Last edited by DanglingModifier; 10-24-2014 at 17:04. Reason: Edit:Added plan B

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I have been using Lash-It (which is the white/silver version of Zing-It) ever since I have been using a tarp. The continuous tarp ridgeline I started out with was made out of 2.2mm Lash-It, which was overkill. I switched to a 1.75mm Lash-It split ridgeline with Dutch bling last year and never looked back. The 1.75mm Lash-It/Zing-It works as a continuous ridgeline as well. The couple of times I used knots on the line I didn't notice that they were any harder or easier to untie than with other lines.

Warbonnetguy has a video on tarp set-ups that is pretty good, in case you haven't seen it. I think he normally uses 1.75mm Lash/Zing-It.

I'd always add Dutch hardware, because it makes setting up the tarp dead easy. My favorite piece of tarp hardware are the Stingerz; you can use them for a CRL as well (Stinger on one end, hook on the other - that's just one option). There are lots of suggestions on the Ultimate Hang website.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Shasta View Post
    I don't like relying on hardware which can become lost or broken (seriously....those tarp flies are amazingly light...).
    I want to see a broken piece of Dutch hardware! I don't think it happens. All the tarp hardware is made of titanium. I think if you get in a situation where this breaks, you're gonna have more serious problems

With regards to losing the hardware: if you splice it onto the Zing-It line or onto the tarp (depending on what you're using), you'll have to loose the complete line - which could happen to you now just the same.

Banned
    Hammock
    warbonnet BB, dream hammock
    Tarp
    WB superfly, edge
    Insulation
    AHE jarbidge, UGQ
    Suspension
    woopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I want to see a broken piece of Dutch hardware! I don't think it happens. All the tarp hardware is made of titanium. I think if you get in a situation where this breaks, you're gonna have more serious problems

With regards to losing the hardware: if you splice it onto the Zing-It line or onto the tarp (depending on what you're using), you'll have to loose the complete line - which could happen to you now just the same.
    +1 to this, if your breaking dutch tarp bling you prob accidently hooked your hammock up to it instead of your tarp, the funny thing is I bet it would still hold!

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    ive found an extra half hitch or two on 1.75 works best for prussic .. Use a soft shackle or Dutch mini Ti biner to attach the tarp to the prussic. I'm now using Dutch's stingerZ attached the tarp w/ 25' 1.75, I like that it forms a "V" when hung, allowing the hammock suspension to pass through the middle of the "V". I also like that I can bring my tarp very low over the hammock when needed using this system. YMMV.
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    WBBB XLC & Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly & Xenon
    Insulation
    Incubator / Burrow
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    Thanks guys.

Its not that I fear the hardware will actually break, I just like knowing multiple ways of doing things so that in case the worst should happen (such as it gets left home), I can make something without hardware.

I'll probably go with the 1.75mm LashIt with StingerZ and see how that works out.
    "Cogito; ergo sum."

• + New Posts