Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    What do you recommend in place of them? I am attracted to their lightness!
    Dyneema webbing. The Spider Webbing is even lighter than 7/64" Amsteel. There is no hardware that allows you to use a single line of Amsteel. If the Dyneema webbing is too expensive, you can try Mule Tape. It's a bit heavier but a lot cheaper

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    What do you recommend in place of them? I am attracted to their lightness!
    I have tried most of the different suspension systems out there and am a supporter of the KISS principle ( Keep It Simple Stupid ). So I keep going back to straps, Dutch Clips and Cinch Buckles. Very easy to use and fast. Only one moving part to worry about. With straps there are soft ones and stiff ones. I found the stiffer straps hold up better. Yes this system does weigh a few ounces more that say whoopies but the extra weight is offset in the ease of use, no knots to tie and as everything stays attached to the hammock you do not have to worry about leaving something on the tree.

However you have to decide what system works best for you and your style of hanging. There is no right of wrong here as long as it is safe.
    Last edited by gunner76; 10-15-2017 at 08:23.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

That's good advice from both of you, thank you

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have three sets of Anchors from Hammock Fan, I bought them when they were first introduced Nov. 2014, I am careful with them and check for damage as I do with any suspension. I really like them with my RR.

I think there was a copyright problem or something similar, some cross over type of concern. I know Dutch had them, there was some almost unpleasant discussion among HF members, Dutch pulled the anchors.

Anyway mine have worked fine for almost four years.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 10-15-2017 at 20:54.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    There is no hardware that allows you to use a single line of Amsteel.
    I beg to differ...

Works with dyneema webbing too.

--
    Gadget

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    I think there was a copyright problem or something similar, some cross over type of concern. I know Dutch had them, there was some almost unpleasant discussion among HF members, Dutch pulled the anchors.
    The way I remember it is that Giovanni approached Dutch with his idea and the result were the Speedhooks. Giovanni decided to do his own thing, and Dutch paid him for being able to keep on selling the original hardware. I can't find the post were this was explained, though. The Speedhooks were only pulled because they kept damaging the Amsteel rope. I think Dutch tried to improve the Speedhooks but it seems difficult if not impossible to fix the problem. At least if you want to stick with titanium and keep it small and light.
    Last edited by hutzelbein; 10-16-2017 at 04:09.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    I beg to differ...

Works with dyneema webbing too.
    OK, I forgot about the Loop Aliens. Is the bend in the rope so much larger that it doesn't do any damage, though? The Speedhooks and the Hammock Anchors have worked fine for a couple of users, but caused problems for too many other users. That's why the Speedhooks were pulled and the Hammock Anchors are not more popular. Not because they didn't work at all. If I was a seller, I would probably not sell Loop Aliens for this purpose, because I would be worried that they would damage the rope in too many cases, even if some people would be fine with them.

Images
    I have a set of anchors on my full-time indoor set up. These get used everyday and have been for the past (roughly) two years. I have a set that I use on my hiking/camping set up. I have used them for the same length of time. The indoor set never get changed, meaning, I have them set to length and I don't adjust the indoor set up as it is dialed in to perfection. The outdoor set get a different placement practically every time I use them. I have had to replace the leaders a couple times. The outdoor set of anchors seem to wear on my leaders and cause the need for replacement. All that being said, I'm still in love with these things. I keep extra hanks of amsteel in my kit and my guitar string splicing fid for the moments when I need to fix something. I have looked at the Cinch Bugs and Beetle buckles but as both use a strap, I can't seem to bring my self to give up the weight savings from using short straps and amsteel leaders.

Not everyone is willing to carry the bother of the anchors slowly eating their amsteel. I guess I am. There is a risk in using them but the risk can be mitigated easily enough. I still may try the cinch bugs or Beetle buckles as the swap is cheap enough financially. Guess I'm just a gram weenie after all is said and done but I got the infection from here, so it's someone else's fault, not mine.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    OK, I forgot about the Loop Aliens. Is the bend in the rope so much larger that it doesn't do any damage, though?
    The testing is ongoing. Two years so far, myself and the friends I've made hammocks for. No failures or damage so far.
    As you say, the bend radius is large, the friction required comes from compression. The Dyneema sometimes looks a bit flattened, but it isn't permanent.

--
    Gadget

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415