WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Cheaha state park cave creek loop

Just got back from a very relaxing 2 night trip at Cheaha state park in Alabama! Day 1---left after work, drove 2 hours to Cheaha trail head, hiked on Pinhoti trail to Mcdill point and spent the night. The leaves are pretty, but probably a week or so from full color. i was pretty trashed by the time I set up camp, but was still able to spend some time at the cliffs and catch the sunset!
    Day 2, slept in, had a very nice laid back breakfast while sitting on the edge of my hammock. Absolutely beautiful weather--70 degrees, clear skys, no bugs etc. Packed up and spent some time exploring the plane wreck near the campsite, and then had a very laid back hike to cave creek! Set up camp early above cave creek and spent the afternoon reading, napping a just generally relaxing! I brought my trekker (bushbuddy) stove along, since fuel wasnt a problem, I tried a new meal: a friend at work told me about a lentil meal they like alot (she's from turkey, so its called "turkish red lentil soup") Its really simple, you sauteed some onions and garlic, add some tomato paste (I dried a can of it before the trip) add 3/4 cup of red lentils, add spices (cayenne and cumin and salt) cover with water and cook for 20 min until it boils down a bit. (I tried it fresh with a small onion and garlic clove, but It would probably dehydrate well too!) Any way, the soup combined with some garlic bannock I fried up in a one egg wonder fry pan, was absolutely wonderful! A tasty hardy meal that will defintely be on my next trip!
    Day 3, woke up, packed up gear as rain moved in and hiked back to the car in a driving rain storm. Didnt even stop for breakfast--just grabbed a handful of nuts and a piece of a chocolate bar!
    Over all it was a great trip! Not many miles, but that was never the objective! Some times its just about spending a few nights in the woods! (also, convinced some day hikers not to keep up the trail they were heading down---whats up with people hiking with no water no light no map etc???? they were about to make a very bad decision!)
    10.28.14 _1151.JPG10.14.28_1145.JPG10.14.28 _1190.JPG10.28.14 _1186.JPG10.28.14 1177.JPG10.28.14_1174.JPG10.28.141169.JPG10.28.14_1167.JPG10.28.14_1160.JPG10.28.14_1187.JPG
    Last edited by stevebo; 10-29-2014 at 16:17.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I had planned to go to McDill Point after work last Friday. Just a quick overnighter to get away. I thought it would be way more fun to stay at home and have plummer come and fix a leaky UPSTAIRS tub. Is there a good place to hang with a view on the point? Its been many years since Ive been there.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    There are some great trees to hang from right on the cliff area. Only catch is it can get really windy there. One time I was there it was so windy u could barely stand up!!! The camp site in my pictures is only 500 feet from the cliff and is more sheltered. Enjoy your trip!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Looks like a good trip. I need to get over that way and do some exploring.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    I highly recommend it! Not an easy trail but you get a lot of return for your efforts!!!

--unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Reflectix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ply View Post
    I'm with you on that. Need to check it out.
    Is it hang time yet?

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    stevebo - sounds like a nice trip. The lazy Saturday morning sounded nice.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    BMJ Spinn.& DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for the report and photos. Looks like a place I may want to go visit this coming year. I will see if I can get a local HF friend or two to go over there this winter and be sure to find a spot out of the wind!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyBee View Post
    Thanks for the report and photos. Looks like a place I may want to go visit this coming year. I will see if I can get a local HF friend or two to go over there this winter and be sure to find a spot out of the wind!
    I try to avoid camping on the high ridges if it's going to be stormy. Also the nearest water is about 2 miles away. (Cave creek or the stream at the junction of the pinhoti and chinabee silent trail). That part of Alabama in the summer time can be very hot and buggy depending on the year so plan accordingly!!!
    Last edited by stevebo; 10-30-2014 at 04:43.

--unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    stevebo - sounds like a nice trip. The lazy Saturday morning sounded nice.
    Lazy was exactly what I was shooting for!

--unknown

• + New Posts