Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    I'm a full time indoor hanger using a table cloth hammock - not the crinkle cloth, the heavier poly - i have had the same issue multiple times and it turns out to be one of three things. the whipping has slipped, the suspension has slipped / loosened, if neither has happened wash the hammock. I've noticed that even though the table cloths are poly over extended amounts of time they will stretch or 'form' to the occupant and so far washing has fixed the issue. might as well try it before giving up and replacing.

~cinnamon

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    ... wash the hammock. I've noticed that even though the table cloths are poly over extended amounts of time they will stretch or 'form' to the occupant and so far washing has fixed the issue. might as well try it before giving up and replacing.
    I agree with this and have experienced the same thing. With extended use, many hammocks develop a stretched area under my torso. Washing seems to help a great deal.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    Any tips for washing a hammock? I'd be afraid of the zippers on my thunderbird ripping the fabric

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    I'm a full time indoor hanger using a table cloth hammock - not the crinkle cloth, the heavier poly - i have had the same issue multiple times and it turns out to be one of three things. the whipping has slipped, the suspension has slipped / loosened, if neither has happened wash the hammock. I've noticed that even though the table cloths are poly over extended amounts of time they will stretch or 'form' to the occupant and so far washing has fixed the issue. might as well try it before giving up and replacing.

~cinnamon
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I agree with this and have experienced the same thing. With extended use, many hammocks develop a stretched area under my torso. Washing seems to help a great deal.
    Interesting! What abot, with a no net hammock, just flipping the hammock over, or switching head end to foot end? At least in the woods when the problem develops. Though I am sure it is better to solve the problem, with washing if that helps. But do you think swapping ends or flipping over would help anything?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjaw14 View Post
    Any tips for washing a hammock? I'd be afraid of the zippers on my thunderbird ripping the fabric
    I would just wash it in a 5gal bucket of sudsy water and spray it off with a hose in the back yard. Definitely stay away from the washing machine. My indoor hammocks are normally just thrown into the wash whenever they start smelling smurfy.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Interesting! What abot, with a no net hammock, just flipping the hammock over, or switching head end to foot end? At least in the woods when the problem develops. Though I am sure it is better to solve the problem, with washing if that helps. But do you think swapping ends or flipping over would help anything?
    Yes, the only time I have experienced this stretching is when I have one of my indoor hammocks hanging for awhile and sleep in the same position over and over. When I'm changing out several hammocks and trying different hangs I've never had this problem. Tonight, I think I'll go hang one in the workshop and try out those new pair of Hammock Anchors from hammockfan.com I received today.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I would just wash it in a 5gal bucket of sudsy water and spray it off with a hose in the back yard. Definitely stay away from the washing machine.
    I have been washing all my hammocks in the washing machine and haven't had any issues. This includes my DH RG and DB. I put integrated hammocks in a laundry net, though, and we only have front loading machines over here. I probably wouldn't trust a top loader.

Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I did wash the hammock, but haven't tried sleeping in it again. I ended up making an 11 x 6 footer out of the same tablecloth fabric and am using that right now. I also bought some of the HyperD fabric that I found on sale at DIY Gear. Haven't had the time to make it tho, but is sure feels nice to touch. I now have an incentive to make it as I don't want to have to deal with this again.

Sorry for the late reply, Been busy lately.
    If you don't experiment, you don't learn!

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    My 10' hammy is a bit particular how it's hung, otherwise I'll get a bit of calf ridge. My 11' is much more forgiving.

So much so it took the shorter hammock to define for me just what calf ridge actually was.

Either way calf ridge is only a problem, for me, when sleeping at home. When hiking I use my down jacket under my feet and lower legs, which would negate any ridge that might be there.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Flip the hammock over and switch your head end. I find I need to do this every 6 months or so.
    The meaning of Life is to live it

Hammock
    Clark Jungle NX-250
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    My hammock has never been truly comfortable to me.. I just toss and turn too much..

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast