ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    bedroom ceiling
    Insulation
    a couple blankets
    Suspension
    rope

Lawson Blue Ridge and DIY Doubles?

Went camping this weekend and bought 2 $6 Wally World Hammocks a try. Even though they were cheap and probably not hung correctly, they were quite comfortable. I decided Hammock camping is a possibility for family outings. I would like a double hammock for the wife and I, but the only double I found was over $500. My mother-in-law is a pretty good seamstress, but I'm not sure I could design and have her sew us a double hammock. I haven't searched for ideas on a DIY double yet. Did a search on the Lawson Blue Ridge Camping Hammock and came up with mixed reviews. Seems a lot of posters were against it, but seemed it was mostly a weight issue. I'm guessing I'm what you call a car camper. I drive to my camping area and usually set up within a few hundred yards, so weight is not much of an issue. I looked around and couldn't find and underquilt that looked like it would work for the Blue Ridge. My mother-in-law is pretty handy with a sewing machine and might be able to help with the underquilt. Are there any other concerns with the Blue Ridge, other than weight? I've narrowed my choices down to it, HH Expedition Asym and Skeeter Beeter Pro. Also, looking for a tarp that will cover two hammocks, so the wife and I can be under one and the kids can be under another. Want to keep the kids close by, but don't know how lucky i would be at finding trees positioned right to hang 4 hammocks. Plus that would be quite a tarp for 4 hammocks.
    What is the suggested distance between trees for the proper hang? I am waiting for a copy of Hammock Camping, but just trying to get an idea.
    Thanks
    Myke

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The only really successful two person full time hammock I know of is the one dbhammock has made. It looks sweet. There are others who share their hammock full time wit their significant other but I know I would not be able to do that. I know nothing of the Larson so am unable to make a comment about that.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Myke View Post
    I would like a double hammock for the wife and I, but the only double I found was over $500.
    so weight is not much of an issue.
    I looked around and couldn't find and underquilt that looked like it would work for the Blue Ridge.
    looking for a tarp that will cover two hammocks, so the wife and I can be under one and the kids can be under another. Want to keep the kids close by, but don't know how lucky i would be at finding trees positioned right to hang 4 hammocks. Plus that would be quite a tarp for 4 hammocks.
    What is the suggested distance between trees for the proper hang? I am waiting for a copy of Hammock Camping, but just trying to get an idea.
    Thanks
    Myke
    When you say "double" for the wife and you, are you saying that you'll both be in the same hammock..... or are you talking about double wide hammocks that are actually just made for one person?
    I have a military poncho liner that I can tie to the bottom of my clark. It's not made for this purpose but it works very well anyways. Tieing it up any ol way I can and it still works just fine. Doesn't look so great, but works just fine.
    When talking about a tarp to cover more than one hammock, you need to think about the tie off points of all the hammocks. And that those points will have a tree there. Usually you might have one central tree that everyone might have the head of their hammock tied to. The foot end then branchs out from the central tree. Hammocks start to look like the spokes of a wheel and there's just no way to put a "community" tarp over something like that. And to put one over two hammocks, well first you've got to figure out how to hang those hammocks together and then figure out how to keep them from settleing into each other. I'd rather just "do my own" hang than try to hang off of the same foot and head tree as my husband I would share one tree with him though
    As for distance between trees, I've hung from trees as close as about 8' (had to wrap the ends of the tarp around the tree, the distance was so short) to about 18'. There are hammocks much larger than mine and they probably need much more room than I have to have.
    You're getting Speers book right?? That'll have lots of info to help you along.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Two hammocks on the same trees can be done with an over under arrangement. One tarp won't protect both from horizontal rain but it will do pretty well. Just make sure the bottom guy really trusts the top guy's suspension.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    I'd forgotten all about that picture a while back of the guy that hung the bunk-bed hammocks!!! The top hammock would have to be for the "taller" person or have a bunk-bed ladder to use. I sure wouldn't want to be on the bottom hammock if a knot came loose!! This might work quite well for kids though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    My only concern, other than the weight, is that it looks to be a 'spreader bar' hammock. If it follows the traditional style (dont' know) it may place the center of gravity too high and make it somewhat unstable. I honestly don't know, just basing an assumption on pictures from their site. Said pictures do a horrible job of actually showing the hammock, more about the scenery where the hammocks are located. That itself worries me.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts