Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Portland to Seattle by bike, Are there Trees to hang?

I'm restarting my bicycle tour on the coast. I'm in McMinnville now and will be heading to Sumas, WA. I have my tent with me and it works. But I'd like to go back to sleeping in my hammock. Also then I have my Superfly with me so Its a dry place to hangout and cook under. Will it be wise to go with my hammock or should I just sleep on the ground? I dont have my exact route yet, I'm waiting for maps from Adventure Cycling.

Thanks,
    Vince

I have done some. Places are not so crowded and often state and local campgrounds have shelters for rain. Will often use these at night to hang. Nice shelter from rain. Just be out by sunrise.

Have also used city parks with shelters for picnics. Try to stay out if view of cops and helps to have dark gear.

There are lots of trees but the leaves will soon be gone.

If u have a route could give pointers. Have not slept on the ground In years

You are doing the STP in reverse

YellowJacket in Seattle!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks Yellowjacket I'll get a route up as soon as I have my maps. Should be monday.

Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    I'm curious to see what you plan on in the urban I-5 corridor: SeaTac KOA--yuck, a hipster's front yard on Cap Hill?, illegally camp (I don't actually have a moral objection to this). Maybe take the 101 at Olympia and then Port Townsend ferry to Whidbey? Plenty of camping all along the OP. Then you'd get to bike over Deception Pass!

Why Sumas AKA "snow mass"? I guess from Whidbey you could go across 20 and up 9.

A hammock would be nice since you'd get to be up off the wet and under a tarp; it will be raining a lot.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ya Montexan, I think you got it right going north through Olympia. I go right between Olympic national park and Seattle. But I think I'm going to detour off and see both those. I'm going to Sumas because I have an aunt and uncle that live up there. I'm staying with a guy now that says it should be pretty good hanging all the way up. So I think that's what I'll do. My maps are back in McMinville but I'll post a route when I get back there on monday.

Hammock
    Lots
    Tarp
    Winter style :)
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    buckle
    since you said you will be on the coast head up turn in at Aberdeen (basically follow the 101) and then cut in go up the west side of the hood canal !
    I used to go from Poulsbo to santa cruz every year did it about 9 times

anyway from the 101 go to Port Townsend then catch the boat over to whidbey island which kinda turns into fidalgo and then you can head over to sedro wolley and head up 9 or when you get off the island cut back in then take 237 up to the 11 and continue on that keeps you off I-5
    the 11 up by samish etc. look it up have not road that in over ten yeas ? but was very pretty country once you get up to belingham you can cut in never cut in at belingham ? so hard to say

mostly used to ride the peninsula area back in the late 70s 80s my parents have a house (poulsbo) in that area and I used to own a bike shop there back in the day was a big roady

pretty much every road from south hood canal up through whidbey and the peninsula I have road on that west side for sure would rather go that route if you could

if you want to see more ? instead of turning in at fidalgo area head up into the san juans for a extra 2 day loop through the islands ? weather permitting

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It's been documented in the 50 State thread that Washington State Parks, and that may include State DNR forests don't allow anything to be tied to trees so Rangers have told hammock campers to remove them and sleep on the ground. NFs, NPs and Federal BLM lands are hammock friendly.
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Images
    I have hung at Ft. Worden State Park twice and not been challenged.

• + New Posts