Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Long hammock, short tarp

I have a GrandTrunk DN hammock and ENO ProFly tarp that are the same length. Long story, but I was familiar with the ProFly with my Eno DN and so got another. I left for a short trip with the GT hammock, not realizing it is a foot longer than the Eno DN (spontaneous trips are always a bit dangerous as they tend to be not the best thought out in my case). Great comfortable hang in the GT DN, and after a intense early morning storm, the foot of my hammock was moist - not soaked. I hung with some sag which allowed tarp coverage on both ends, but not quite enough spare coverage for the foot of the hammock, apparently. I've been thinking of a way to rig a 1.5' tube of waterproof material over the foot of my GT and tarp. Then it occurred to me another possible solution short of spending more dough on really big tarp, is to bob the end or ends of the hammock to shorten by 6" when hanging in in-climate weather. Has anyone tried either of these options?
    Yes, I am trying not to purchase more gear, but if I have to I will.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Cheapshoes; 11-01-2014 at 18:08. Reason: Fixing typos

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    There's no such model as a Grand Trunk DN, to my knowledge. In any event, the ProFly is 10' 6" and I don't think any of the Grand Trunk hammocks are longer than that. If you add a structural ridgeline to the hammock (or an adjustable structural ridgeline), and use the 83% rule (make ridgeline 83% of hammock length), then you will end up with a 105" ridgeline. The ProFly will easily cover that, with 10.5" of coverage on each end.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-01-2014 at 19:47.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Make a water proof cone to fit over each end of the hammock. (I think they call them Peak Beaks now.)
    MDSH shows a good example of one in this post:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...et-Up-Complete.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1324212
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    There's no such model as a Grand Trunk DN, to my knowledge. In any event, the ProFly is 10' 6" and I don't think any of the Grand Trunk hammocks are longer than that. If you add a structural ridgeline to the hammock (or an adjustable structural ridgeline), and use the 83% rule (make ridgeline 83% of hammock length), then you will end up with a 105" ridgeline. The ProFly will easily cover that, with 10.5" of coverage on each end.
    My Grand Trunk Double measured out at 136". I started off with 105, and it looked very deep, so I measured it and found it had an extra 10" per the spec. I settled on ~110" RL. A longer tarp seems merited, or maybe Grizz beaks? I haven't tried those, but saw 2QZQs video and they look like a good fix.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    My Grand Trunk Double measured out at 136".
    As I mentioned before, I don't think they make a Grand Trunk hammock that is longer than 10' 6" (or 126 inches). The Grand Trunk website lists the Grand Trunk double parachute nylon hammock as 10' 6 inches, so I think you're mistaken in thinking your hammock is 136 inches long.

https://grandtrunk.com/shop/dh-gt/

Sorry, yes Grand Trunk Double (no 'nest', but the same idea). Very comfy an roomy.
    Yes, Oldpappy - that beak cone is exactly the idea I was thinking. Though, i was concerned ifn' they don't also go over the tarp end, a downpour will hit the plastic "beak" where it is expose beyond the tarp and the water run down straight to your pants - no? I think when I set up I had only an inch or two overhang at the feet, an opted for greater overage at my head but not much either. Yeah maybe I've got a long one. In theory could one not father more at the ends to get to a shorter hammock, unless that messes too much with the comfort factor.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You should really look into a structural ridgeline (or ASR)) for your hammock. That would solve your problem without the need for beaks. Your hammock is too long because you're not using a hammock ridgeline; your tarp is too short because you're not using a hammock ridgeline. You could buy a longer tarp or shorter hammock, but the ridgeline is a much more cost-effective solution.

http://shop.whoopieslings.com/Adjust...e-Line-ASR.htm

http://buttinasling.com/adstri.html

http://buttinasling.com/fixedridgeline.html

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...idge_Line.html
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-01-2014 at 20:39.

I just measured mine laid out on the floor straight from the stuff sack. 116 inches. I'd imagine they gain quite a few inches after being laid in.
    Yeah, thanks for the tip SilvrSurfr, at least measure and tie the ridgeline I currently have for the bugnet would work.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheapshoes View Post
    I just measured mine laid out on the floor straight from the stuff sack. 116 inches. I'd imagine they gain quite a few inches after being laid in.
    Yeah, thanks for the tip SilvrSurfr, at least measure and tie the ridgeline I currently have for the bugnet would work.
    That's the thing about a hammock ridgeline - the ridgeline insures a consistent hang (and length). The ridgeline doesn't allow the hammock to lengthen.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    The ENO profly is 10'6" x 6'4".

If you don't want to buy any extra gear, you could always hang the tarp diagonal instead of traditional. This would make it an ASYM tarp for more RL coverage.

You would need to make a few adjustments for tieouts, but, it can be done.

As with any tarp during a bad storm, you may want to lower the tarp closer to the hammock to protect the end closer to the direction of where the water will enter the tarp, also.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast