Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks

4 season tarp shopping

I'm just building up my first set of gear and haven't decided on a tarp yet. As much as you all seem to end up with piles of various tarps, I'm hoping to buy 1 and be done. I've been doing a bit of car camping with my current setup and just avoiding inclimate weather but I intend to use my setup for a bit of backpacking as well so I'm interested in weight and packability but not to the point of driving costs to the upper limits. I'm in North Carolina and expect to use the gear primarily in this general climate, occasionally using it all 4 seasons. I also camp with a couple dogs and kinda like the idea of leaving them sleeping on the ground, maybe on a sleeping pad or something, inside the tarp with me.

I've started off using a ENO Reactor (their two layer hammock) along with their Atlas straps, a sleeping pad, and a sleeping bag as a top quilt. I've recently gotten a 20 degree HG Phoenix UQ and plan to continue using a sleeping bag unzipped as a TQ up until I really want to reduce weight. I also have a Hammeck Envy (10' single layer) coming so I figure I'm pretty well set at the moment other than a tarp.

The Warbonnet Superfly seems very popular and I like the idea of integrated doors which got me comparing to other tarps that I thought were comparable. I figure this style of tarp will give me all the features I might ever want other than going smaller for weight reduction (at which point something in cuben fiber might make sense).

Reviewing all the 4 season tarps with doors, I've gotten the impression that they are all roughly the same so I wanted to pick your brains in case I'm missing something. I've been comparing the Warbonnet Superfly, OES 4 Season Tarp, Wilderness Logics Oldman Winter, UGQ Winter Dream, and SLD Winter Haven. I skipped over the HG Winter Palace due to the cost associated with cuben fiber.

As far as I can tell they are all available in roughly the same sizes (~11' RL and ~10' wide) thought some are available in longer or shorter RLs as an option. All have about 10 tie out points and either come with, or you can add, 4 pullout points. All are close in weight (19-25oz) and there's some variety in color options from one maker to another. Prices all seem roughly equivalent ($130-170ish).

Having never seen any of the pieces in person I can't get a good feel for quality but suspect they're all top notch.

Are there any cool features that I overlooked, any standouts in quality or warranty, or anything else I should be considering to decide between these? I'm leaning towards the SF because of it's popularity, and it's on the lower end of the price range for what appear to be very comparable items, but I didn't know if you all might have any other points to take into consideration.

Here's the notes I've made so far on my tarp shopping: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I've made all my own tarps, so I can't speak for any of these specifically. I do really like my 4 season with the 11' ridge line. I'd have to say that the best thing I've ever done to a tarp is put on an external pole mod. It makes such a huge difference. My latest one is made from Argon sil and is sub 15 oz for the tarp it self. I don't know if you can really go wrong with any of the tarps you mentioned. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the differences are mainly esthetics between them.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mouseskowitz View Post
    I don't know if you can really go wrong with any of the tarps you mentioned. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the differences are mainly aesthetics between them.
    Aesthetics, popularity. I would guess the Superfly is the most popular 4-season tarp, but I've heard good things about the others. Make sure you research OES communication issues before considering that tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    It's hard to say one way or the other unless we have seen or tried several. All I can say is I purchased the Superfly based on its popularity and have not been disappointed.

It is great quality and very versatile. It would definitely provide room for a dog under it as I have even put two hammocks under it for my son to hang with me.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Of the tarps you listed, I only have the Superfly - and I have yet to take it hiking. I like the idea of having doors, but in reality, I have never had a real use for them. I only hike in 3 seasons, though. I might take the SF for public campsites to have more privacy. But otherwise, the WB Mamajamba is my go-to tarp.

If you have a 10' hammock, you would be well advised to stick with a 11' tarp (especially if it has doors). More will be overkill - it will just mean more weight and a reduced choice of hang sites.

As far as I know, the Superfly offers the most coverage for the least weight. If you look at the OES tarp, you can see that the doors are fairly narrow. Compare that to the SF doors. The WL Oldman Winter is in the same weight class, but has shorter sides. But WL does a lot of custom work - which is a pro if you need/want it.

If it was my choice, I would go with the SF because of the weight-to-coverage ratio (plus the price is great, too). I have no need for the extras offered by the other makers, and I like the color.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly / Hamarak
    Insulation
    HG/WM
    Suspension
    Cinch/Dutch
    Images
    Used the doors on my Superfly the last two times out, as it was raining and blowing twenty. You guessed it, great coverage as usual.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The SLD has my interest. I like the way it is cut. I may sell one of my tarps to buy this one.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I have a Superfly, an Oldman Winter, and an SLD Winter Haven. They are all awesome, and cut very similar. Superfly is the lightest, using 1.1 fabric. OMW users 1.2. Winter Haven uses 1.4. Feels most sturdy of the three. Can't go wrong with any of those. You'd probably see even a heavily customized SLD in the mail the morning after you order it, if that matters.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    I have an 11' SF and a 12' OMW and like them both. I believe you have a few more color choices with the OMW if that is important. I would recommend either of these without hesitation. Also, if you figure out how to buy just one tarp...please let us know how you did it

Have fun!
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Just FYI, the OES tarp's doors do not close fully because it is cut in more of a rectangle and also because of the cat cuts.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast