so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings

1st try at a cheap DIY mummy bag pod

So after reading many posts about under and over quilts and other colder weather solutions I wanted to try to add a colder weather option for the spring and fall hangs/hikes. I'm very new to this and just getting my hammock/hiking setup in order.

So I bought this 45 degree bag from sports authority for about $16 on sale and wanted to add a little warmth to my hammock by just trying to cut some holes and string it through and see if it could be a good mummy bag under/overquilt solution to give me a few more degrees.

Here is what I came up with. Took it for a test ride outside today and did well for a 50 degree day. Certainly added some heat. The key is to get just the right amount of tightness between the bad and the bottom of the hammock (I've learned that through reading lots of old threads).

I know it isn't perfect but for 45 mins work and very low cost it seems to do the job. I'll be reinforcing and resewing the connectors near the head, but a decent first iteration.

Other info: I have aparacord ridge line attached. The hammock is ENO singlenest and I think with my ENO profly over top that should also add some warmth into the low 40s.

Thoughts or suggestions??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414964270.529469.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414964280.319233.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414964299.023624.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414964308.997311.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414964317.154208.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414964324.845610.jpg

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    How much of a diagonal can you get inside of that? Any problems with the hammock wanting to make your holes bigger or drafts around the holes? How's the bag length compared to your height? I've never understood how one could be comfortable in a rig like this, so I've never played with it. The price looks like you can't beat it for experimentation.

Am I guessing correctly that you're testing just south of Belmont Harbor?

Hammock
    so many!
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG + diy or a WB
    Suspension
    whoopieeeee slings
    Yeah you certainly can't get much of a diagonal. That is the one downside. It still lays pretty flat. The bag is probably 16 inches larger than me so it it snug but not too tiny. I sewed the holes to allow only enough of the hammock through then reinforced stitches so it wouldn't pull anymore of it apart over time. So it doesn't let in drafts or much air at all.

Clearly the real test is to spent more than a half hour in there to see how comfortable it works through a night.

Good eyes, Yes, just south of Belmont harbor. Are you local?

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    Used to be local.
    16317.jpg

The over night comfort is the big question. From the little I've seen on pods, basically just Shug videos, they don't seem to be used until it's pretty cold.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I've always thought this would be a good system for a ghost hammock since it's already fairly narrow.

• + New Posts