Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Posts
    509
    Images
    4

    Avoiding Poison Ivy

    After hiking with my brother earlier this summer in the Ozarks, I came to realize that almost every tree in some areas is covered in poison ivy. I guess in the fall/winter months I just didn't worry about what all those vines were, but it was quite obvious with them all leafed out.

    How do you deal with it? I don't think it is actually feasible to just avoid trees with poison ivy on them, so we pulled the vines down with our walking poles where possible. I know that's not very LNT, but I didn't exactly feel bad about it either.

    I'm no expert on it, but from what I've read it only takes a tiny bit of that oil in one place and you've got it everywhere. I thought about this as I stuffed my hammock (with the straps) into the BB sack on the second or third night. It wasn't such a huge deal, since we were touching it all day every day and didn't have any hope of avoiding it on this trip. I'm sure it's all over my pack/shoes/hat, etc even still.

    On that note, does anyone know of a fabric-safe way to get the oils off of hammocks and tarps/backpacks/shoes?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    No help, but I deal with it with genetics.

    I got a rash a few times as a kid, but these days I don't even look for Poison Ivy. I can literally rub the stuff on my skin without fear of reaction. They say that the tolerance can change over the years, but so far so good. Fingers crossed.

    You should be able to hand wash your gear with a mild detergent to get the oils off. Not really any different from body oils. Doubtful it stuck to your tarp; nothing sticks to sil for long.
    Trust nobody!

  3. #3
    Senior Member angrysparrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    near Memphis, TN
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    9,686
    Images
    92
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    You should be able to hand wash your gear with a mild detergent to get the oils off. Not really any different from body oils. Doubtful it stuck to your tarp; nothing sticks to sil for long.
    Watch out for the guylines, though!
    I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt. - Cormac McCarthy

  4. #4
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Watch out for the guylines, though!
    Good call, didn't even think about those!
    Trust nobody!

  5. #5
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    9,015
    Images
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    No help, but I deal with it with genetics.

    I got a rash a few times as a kid, but these days I don't even look for Poison Ivy. I can literally rub the stuff on my skin without fear of reaction. They say that the tolerance can change over the years, but so far so good. Fingers crossed.

    You should be able to hand wash your gear with a mild detergent to get the oils off. Not really any different from body oils. Doubtful it stuck to your tarp; nothing sticks to sil for long.
    Ah, a subject of much interest to me!

    Roaming and bushwhacking through the GA woods as a kid, I didn't even know to watch out for it, or what to look for. I never had a problem. Then at age 35 in AZ, I found out I wasn't immune after all. I don't mess with that hellish stuff now.

    I have avoided any out breaks for quite a few years now, just by keeping a look out. I was really paranoid when I started hanging. But I have become pretty expert at recognizing it, particularly that wooly caterpillar looking vine that grows up the trees. That was a major help to me. It seems to me there are a lot of 3 leaved things out there that are not PI, but a wooly vine is a for sure avoid! The small vines are sometimes barely recognizable by the "wooly" appearance, but it's there if you look close. Some of the bigger ones look like a Wooly Mammoth trunk, or at least a fat caterpillar. No leaves of three any where to be seen. Until you follow the vine way up in the tree, and there, looking like it is part of the Oak tree branches, are the evil 3 leaves. These usually have a very smooth branch(stem?) and they are on alternate sides of the vine. One is on the "right" side with 3 leaves, the next on the "left", then "right". Not quite as easy to recognize on the ground, where I just avoid all 3 leaved clusters. But watch out for that wooly bugger, leaves or no leaves.

    Even though I am not far from AR's Ozarks, I can usually avoid it and find some safe trees. I have not yet had to pull a vine down. Not that I would mind, but I'd be afraid there would still be enough oil on the tree to get on my straps. But it is a major PITA, and cuts the available pairs of usable trees down by 2/3 or 3/4. Just the other day I was trying to hang at one spot- I didn't want to leave that immediate area- and there were just no available trees. Either too far apart, too close or too big/little or P.Ivy vine! Finally, I found 2 small trees that would do, and hung my Claytor No Net for a brief break. The shade was great, and a breeze was causing evaporative cooling on my back- nice. Then as I am packing up I look down at the base of the tree- very close to or in contact with my straps- and there is one little lonesome 3 leaved evil rat b**tard PI plant! I didn't see the little s**t while setting up. I found a stick and assaulted the little b*****d, digging it out of the ground and tossed it aside. I guess nothing contacted it, because I had no problems. But I hate that stuff! Having had several miserable reactions to it since age 35, I avoid it like the plague!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  6. #6
    Senior Member GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,666
    Images
    564
    I have been terribly sensitive to that stuff and am usually very cautious. The alternating stems of three on the stalk that BB58 mentions is a good differential indicator. The 3 leafed plants that have multiple stems coming off the same place on the stalk, no worries.

    Alas I was not so careful this weekend. I have two small spots now, the primary pickup on my ankle and a clear "scratch" carry on my arm. They be itching but I not be scratching. Hitting 'em with Calidryl, and knock on wood I don't see spreading. yet.

    No Doctari, it was not from the plant with FIVE leaves that you were warning me about!

    Grizz

  7. #7
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    9,015
    Images
    364
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I have been terribly sensitive to that stuff and am usually very cautious. The alternating stems of three on the stalk that BB58 mentions is a good differential indicator. The 3 leafed plants that have multiple stems coming off the same place on the stalk, no worries.

    Alas I was not so careful this weekend. I have two small spots now, the primary pickup on my ankle and a clear "scratch" carry on my arm. They be itching but I not be scratching. Hitting 'em with Calidryl, and knock on wood I don't see spreading. yet.

    No Doctari, it was not from the plant with FIVE leaves that you were warning me about!

    Grizz
    I don't even know how to recognize Poison Sumac. But, I do OK just by trying to stay away from the P. Ivy and Oak, the 3 leaved devils!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  8. #8
    tbone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Havertown, PA
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    Posts
    204
    I`m lucky as well, 37 and still can`t catch any of the poisonous plants. Stinging nettles or fireweed ( whatever its called is a different story though)

  9. #9
    Senior Member fin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    On the trail
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Posts
    2,498
    Images
    208
    I had a sleeping bag that I took with me on a canoe trip to the Wisconsin River one year. Every time I used that bag again, I broke out with the PI rash, even after washing it multiple times. I finally ditched the bag, and bought a new one.

    I avoid anything that has 3 leaves if it even looks suspiciously like PI. I'm not taking chances, PI looks different in different locations. PICS OF POISON IVY, Great Site. Shawnee was loaded with PI. We waded through it in a couple of spots on the trail. Jewel Weed is a great natural antidote, and there was plenty of that at Shawnee as well.

    And don't forget about poison oak - just as nasty, and some people may think they are baby oak trees.

    Poison Sumac pics.
    Last edited by fin; 08-17-2009 at 14:40. Reason: added poison sumac pics

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    New Orleans, LA
    Posts
    3,565
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    After hiking with my brother earlier this summer in the Ozarks, I came to realize that almost every tree in some areas is covered in poison ivy. I guess in the fall/winter months I just didn't worry about what all those vines were, but it was quite obvious with them all leafed out.

    How do you deal with it? I don't think it is actually feasible to just avoid trees with poison ivy on them, so we pulled the vines down with our walking poles where possible. I know that's not very LNT, but I didn't exactly feel bad about it either.
    I'm no expert on it, but from what I've read it only takes a tiny bit of that oil in one place and you've got it everywhere. I thought about this as I stuffed my hammock (with the straps) into the BB sack on the second or third night. It wasn't such a huge deal, since we were touching it all day every day and didn't have any hope of avoiding it on this trip. I'm sure it's all over my pack/shoes/hat, etc even still.

    On that note, does anyone know of a fabric-safe way to get the oils off of hammocks and tarps/backpacks/shoes?
    There are certain times the so called rules don't matter. This is one of them. Vines grow fast enough anyways.

    Fortunatly I am also one that doesn't get the ivy itches. But everything else out there that can make you itch for any reason, makes me itch.

    I carry extra hand sanitizer and put it over any part of me that itches. Works wonders. Something similar might work for gear. I would test it out first to make sure it wouldn't damage anything.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Similar Threads

  1. Question: Avoiding Falling Trees in Wet Weather?
    By CallMeIshmael in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-07-2013, 21:46
  2. avoiding dew on your bits
    By DENMONKEY in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-03-2012, 07:01
  3. Poison ivy
    By toddhunter in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 14:59
  4. Avoiding Late Night, Um, Trips
    By Jonas4321 in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 05-02-2010, 13:57
  5. avoiding water with straps - a new approach???
    By Barry in forum Suspension Systems, Ridgelines, & Bug Nets
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 14:55

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •